AnsweredAssumed Answered

To Portal or not to Portal

Question asked by luciano991 on Apr 15, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 23, 2014 by luciano991

Title

To Portal or not to Portal

Hello all,

I am a new user of FileMaker Pro 13. I have completed a 10+ hour course in FMP12 on Lynda.com which I highly recommend for new users. 

I have searched the forum and Google for articles and posts of interest on, dare I say it, creating a file for a Medical Practice. I have found some good information there. And one thing that people seem to say a lot is that a specific question is easier to respond to than a general "how to from start to finish" question. So here goes. I have a question.

First of all, my client's needs are simple so a commercial solution would be overkill.

So first I created a table for Patients. It's got the usual stuff in it. 

Then I created a table for Visits which simply has date of visit, length of visit and a large box field for notes.

I figured one patient can have many visits. So I created a one to many relationship between patients and visits.

Now I figure creating a new patient record is easy. Go to the Patients Layout (based on the Patients table) and simply create a new record. But visits are another story.

So to create a new visit, I figure I would have to create a layout based on the Visits Table, put in the Visits table fields  and include the fields from the Patients table. So would I just drag those patient fields into the layout or would I create a portal to the Patients table to create a new visit?

And if I may be permitted one follow up question, how could I add a new patient from this Visits based layout?

There. Two simple questions. How did I do?

All the best,

Mark

Outcomes