2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2011 9:08 AM by philmodjunk

To use or not to use Auto-Enter Calculation; that is the question.

Reast

Title

To use or not to use Auto-Enter Calculation; that is the question.

I have a manufacturing database in which there are several calculation fields that, in special circumstances, a user may need to override the calculation result and instead enter a different value.  Since calculation fields cannot be modified by a user, I thought the solution would be to change the calc field to an auto-enter calculation; thus, allowing the user to override the result when necessary.

Unfortunately, those auto-enter calculation fields are not evaluating.  I am instead getting a "?" as a result.  The calculations are painfully simple; e.g., "Quantity A/1000" or "Lbs Glue Ndd * Quantity A," etc.  The fields evaluated fine when they were straight calc fields and I cannot figure out what a solution might be.  I have a feeling my eyes are crazy crossed on this one.

I would love any guidance as to how I can accomplish my initial goal of allowing a user to override a calculation field - it seems I missed the mark with my thought of a straight Auto-Enter Calculation field.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: To use or not to use Auto-Enter Calculation; that is the question.
          LaRetta_1

In the Auto-Enter tab, right below the Calculated Value 'specify' is a checkbox 'Do not replace existing value if any'.  This is default checked.  When it is checked, the value will not update when a value changes in fields it references.  If you uncheck this box then, any time the value changes, it will update.

• 2. Re: To use or not to use Auto-Enter Calculation; that is the question.
            philmodjunk

Also, be careful with what fields you use in your calculation. Your example expressions should all work--so this is a caution for future use of this method.

If an auto-entered calculation refers to fields from the same record and table, it will update as LaRetta describes. Include a field from a related table, use getNthRecord to reference a field in a different record or refer to a field with global storage and then changes to these fields will not automatically update your auto-entered calculation and you then have to develop alternatives.