1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2013 7:07 AM by philmodjunk

TOG specifically for conditional value lists

JasonO'Berry

Title

TOG specifically for conditional value lists

Hi, 

i'm having a hard time finding a concrete answer for some filemaker theory. Can I safely create a group of table occurrences to be used specifically for conditional value lists, possibly to be used on multiple layouts and even unrelated TO's. 

i try to keep my relationship graph as clean as possible with the anchor-buoy method.  An example would be:

customer ---< job---< invoice----< line iitems

and 

InvoiceVL ---< line itemsVL -to be used for diminishing value list perhaps with possible additional TO's for desired results.

can I use this relationship for a value list and use it on a field in a portal on the invoice layout to Line Items, without having unexpected or wrong results .

It seems like they should be related to the working Table Occurence Group, but at the same time, since the values are based on a group of tables that are designed to get these values only it seems like they shouldn't have to be related.  

I'd  appreciate some clarification, thanks.

• 1. Re: TOG specifically for conditional value lists
          philmodjunk

That can be made to work, but the catch is in setting the correct value in the "parent" occurrence that is used to filter your value list. If the fields that need to be modified in that table have global storage specified, you can make this work pretty easily, I think. But if they are not specified with global storage, you'd need to set up either a relationship or a script to make that same field accessible on the layout's where you need the conditional value list.