4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2014 2:16 PM by ChrisJohnston

Too much text?

ChrisJohnston

Title

Too much text?

According to this document FileMaker’s fields should not be bigger than 10,000,000 characters. My text that I am trying to use in a field is 83,962,446 characters. The reason the text is so large is because it the listing of a hard drives directories and files. This solution will be a database of computer backup. Can anybody suggest best practices for handling such large amounts of information that are mainly in text? I should make a note that most of the listings that my records will not be this large, most will be within the 10,000,000 limitation. Thanks

• 1. Re: Too much text?
          philmodjunk

Any time I have more than just a few lines of text in a field--far, far short of the 10,000,000 character limit, I make myself step back and ask myself if the data in that field would be better off stored in a related table where the date is split over several related records.

For the tree structure of a hard drive directory and its files, I would think a system of related records linked in that same tree structure would not only stay far, far away from the10,000,000 character limit, but also produce a structure for your data that is quite flexible and easier to work with.

• 2. Re: Too much text?
            ChrisJohnston

I can see how it would be beneficial to do that. I am going to play with the idea and see what I come up with. At the moment the text is just a listing made outside of FileMaker by a program that does backup. I am going to have to come up with a way do partial listing of directories to get it done. I was thinking FileMaker could use the text to find data when a user enters find mode. A program like Notepad++ has no problem searching a text file so big for text, I was thinking FileMaker could do the same. Thanks

• 3. Re: Too much text?
              philmodjunk

A program like Notepad++ has no problem searching a text file so big for text

Yes, but what Notepad does with that file is far different than what FileMaker does in terms of internal storage and indexing.

If you imported that text file using import records, you might find that each row of text imports as a separate record--which would automatically break up your listing into smaller chunks.

• 4. Re: Too much text?
                ChrisJohnston

Wow, great to know! That jump started a great deal. Even though more to do, this is ultimately what we are striving for. Wow...... (laughing) you are beyond helpful!!! Thanks