10 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 10:10 AM by dmacpherson

Tooltip display duration

Lawrence2

Title

Tooltip display duration

Hello, I'd like to know if there is a way to make a tooltip display for a longer duration. Thanks.

Lawrence

• 1. Re: Tooltip display duration
          TSGal

Lawrence:

Thank you for your post.

The duration for a tooltip cannot be changed.  How much longer do you want the tooltip to display?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Tooltip display duration
            Lawrence2

Hello TSGal,

Ideally, I'd like the tooltip to display as long as the cursor is inside the field. But if I had to have a time, I'd say about 6 or 7 seconds.

• 3. Re: Tooltip display duration
              TSGal

Lawrence:

Running on a Mac (OS X 10.5.5) with FileMaker Pro 9.0v3, I just set a tooltip in a field, and when I put my cursor in the field, the tooltip displayed for more than 10 seconds.  (Perhaps 12?).

Interestingly, on a Windows machine (Windows XP SP 3), the tooltip displays for 5 seconds.

Please go to:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

... and enter this as a suggestion.  I would do it for you, but there are questions asked that only you can answer.  This will ensure that the FileMaker team considers the request.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Tooltip display duration
                Sorbsbuster

Lawrence,

You say you want to display the tooltip "as long as the cursor is inside the field."  But do ToolTips not just display over buttons?  (You might have made a field a button, of course, but then you couldn't have the cursor in it.) I've only used Tooltips to give a quick hint as to what a button will do, and even the Windoze display time is enough for them.  If someone is a slow reader, or wants to re-check, they can just roll away and roll back again and it re-displays.

If the Tooltip needs to be read for more than about 10 seconds, would that not suggest something else is wrong, and the interface maybe isn't intuitive enough?  Or could you put a '?' button beside the field (button?) which brings up a Custom Dialogue box (for example) with paragraphs worth of space to write the extended 'tip'?

If you really want people to be able to take their time perusing the Tooltip, maybe zippscript would work for you - it can do actions based on 'MouseOver', apparently:

http://filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php?t=10479

Alan.

Edit: Well!!  I learn something new every day (which is why I keep coming back).  You can, I've just found out, set a tooltip for a field, not just a button, but you don't have to be tabbed into it for it to display, just 'mouse-over-ed'.

• 5. Re: Tooltip display duration
                  TSGal

Lawrence:

I was going through some old notes (not related to the forum), and I recall talking to user several years ago that created a calculation field below his field with a description.  Once a description was entered, the contents of the calculation field would disappear.  Not the most elegant solution, but it did the job, and I thought it should be mentioned.

Assuming there is a Text field entitled "Name", create a calculation field, "NameDescription", with the formula:

If (IsEmpty (Name); "Please enter the Name"; "")

That is, if the field is empty, display the instruction.  Once an entry is made, the calculation displays nothing.

The caveat is if the person needs to edit the field and doesn't remember what that field was for.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Tooltip display duration
                    Lawrence2

Thank you for your comments. The application I'm working on is a little unique. The database stores performance measures which require a rather lenghty description. The user wanted context related help for each field. That is, he doesn't want to have to open a Help window and search through a lot of narrative to find help for the field he's entering. He wants to be able to read the help as he's entering data for a field. Tooltips works great, but some of the descriptions are so long, you can't really read all the narrative in the 5 seconds the tip window is open.

Maybe there is a better way to provide context related help?

Lawrence

• 7. Re: Tooltip display duration
                      Lawrence2

Thanks TSGal, your suggestion is excellent as usual. However, in this case, I need the text to work all the time (see my response to Alan above). 

Lawrence.

• 8. Re: Tooltip display duration
                        Sorbsbuster

Lawrence,

If the explanation of the performance measure is long, but the data itself is short(ish), you could have the data entry itself via a dialogue box.  When the user clicks on the field they are presented with a Custom Dialogue box which has room for a (relatively) lengthy explanation and immediately below it be tabbed into the data entry field for that performance figure.  Same number of mouse-clicks.

Alan.

• 9. Re: Tooltip display duration
                          jebber6685

Can anyone from Filemaker comment on whether or not the tooltip display time in Windows can be extended?

This thread is 2008 vintage. I would hope some type of solution has be implemented since then. 

• 10. Re: Tooltip display duration
                            dmacpherson

I agree Jebber.  Here we are now in 2014.  I use the Tool Tip extensively to display the contents of fields where I do not have the screen space.  My users find it extremely useful, but, for longer text, they need more time.  I think the original suggestion that it remain visible as long as the hover is active, or give me a setting when I create the tooltip. 

Can we please get an update on this question?