6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 8:30 AM by michael_alexander@me.com

Top 10

michael_alexander@me.com

Title

Top 10

Hello!!

I want to make a top 10 of all de names of the children in our database.

A top 10 for boys and a top 10 for girls. There's a Field Name and a Field gender.

Who can help me with a simple formula?

• 1. Re: Top 10
          philmodjunk

There is no formula needed. And you haven't indicated what will be used to determine which 10 are the "top ten". A value in a field?

To show a "top ten"

Option 1:

Use a list or table view. Sort your records to put the top 10 first and omit all other records from the found set.

Option 2:

Use a portal to list the names, with a sort order on either the relationship or the portal to sort the related records so that the top 10 are first. Use a 10 row portal with no scroll bar.

Option 3:

If you use a sorted relationship that sorts the records, LeftValues ( List ( RelatedTable::Name ) ; 10 ) can return the 10 ten.

Option 4: The above Leftvalues function can also be used with ExecuteSQL (filemaker 12 only) to produce the same list, but without needing a defined relationship in Manage | Database to do so.

• 2. Re: Top 10
            michael_alexander@me.com

Hello and thank you for your quick response. I don't no if i understand te solution.

The 10 must show a list of the names like this:

1. Sem (Sem is found 10 times) the value (10) could be a value in the record Field that's ok.

2. Finn (Finn is found 5 times)

3. Levi (Levi is found 4 times)

4. ...

• 3. Re: Top 10
              philmodjunk

Please explain what you mean by "found 10 times". Found in what?

• 4. Re: Top 10
                michael_alexander@me.com

In de database of the children. In all the records. 

Clear?

• 5. Re: Top 10
                  philmodjunk

And this is all in the same table?

Let's assume that you have these fields in a table named "children":

Name, Gender

Then you can set up a "self join" relationship like this:

Children::name = Children 2::name AND
                       Children::Gender = Children 2::Gender

Then Count ( Children2::name ) will return a count of all records in the Children table with the same name and gender as the current record. This then produces a field on which you can sort in descending order to show the most frequent name first.

This, in turn, makes any of the options that I specified at the start possible.

The self join relationship shown requires that you create a duplicate table occurrence (Children 2):

In Manage | Database | relationships, make a new table occurrence of Children by clicking it and then clicking the duplicate button (2 green plus signs). You can double click the new occurrence box to get a dialog to appear where you can rename the new occurrence box to be something other than Children 2 if you want.

We have not duplicated a table. Instead, this is a new reference to the same table already present in your database.

• 6. Re: Top 10
                    michael_alexander@me.com

Thanks!!!