3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 2:43 PM by philmodjunk

Total Newbie question

JeffP

Title

Total Newbie question

Hi Guys

I'm just beginning to use FM 9 on Mac Leopard.

I'm used to building db's on MySql with a Cocoa front end but want to change to FM for the speed and cross platform benefits.

I'm reading FileMaker Pro 9 Bible and The Missing Manual. They are great for many things but many of the simple problems that I would easily deal with using SQL, they don't seem to have an answer to.

So 2 questions.

1. Is there an online reference where I can look up the Filemaker equivalents of SQL solutions and any general solutions to common problems?

2. E.g. a I have Table A with primary key kA and Table B with primary key kB. I have a join table with keys kA and kB.  I only want one record in the join table for each set of values of kA and kB. But I can see no way of enforcing this. Is there one?

3. E.g. b. What is the easiest way to do the following SQL where the result will appear in a drop down box. For instance

get TableA.aField from TableA where tableA.pA = tableJoin.pA and tableJoin.pB = tableB.pB and tableB.val1 = "aVal" and table.B.val2 = "aVal2";

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Total Newbie question
          philmodjunk

Item 1: Don't know of any. It'd be an interesting project to set up though...

Item 2: Define an extra text field that auto-enters a concatentation of kA and kB and set a unique values validation on it.

Item 3: This can be done, but I wouldn't call it simple. In filemaker you can refer to table occurrences on your graph that are more than one remove away from your "starting" table occurrence and you can combine that technique with a relationshp that uses either calculation or global fields to specify your aVal and aVal2 quantities.

• 2. Re: Total Newbie question
            JeffP

Thanks Phil

In terms of 2. , I'm assuming you use a calculation to create the concatenated key, but I can't see where you can get into the field options dialog to give it unique validation. Or is there some other way of creating the concatenated key?

Cheers

Jeff

• 3. Re: Total Newbie question
              philmodjunk

It's not a calculation field. It's a text field with an auto-enter option selected to enter a calculated value.

Double click the field definition in Manage | Databae | Fields and then click the auto-enter tab in the dialog that pops up.