2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2009 1:29 PM by philmodjunk

Total newbie starting point

jazzteach

Title

Total newbie starting point

Hi everyone,

I am a teacher who has dabbled in Filemaker over the years, finding more questions than answers.  I am a tech-head, but never truly worked on databases.  This year I decided to take it slow and try to digest it all, which is why I am on the forum.  Maybe someone can shed some light on a few things for me.

I wanted to create a "master" plan book for my school year.  I wanted a database for all of my lesson plans, one for my schedule (list of classes/times, etc.), and one for lesson notes that aren't directly related to my lesson plans...I then wanted to enter in a schedule day (1-6 numbering system) and a few keywords about lesson topics.  I wanted this extracted information to appear as a 'page' (report) for my plan book and it list my daily schedule with my plans for the day- at which time I would print up the completed page and go from there.  

I've tried working with 3 tables and linking them with relationships and that just got me confused.  I don't even know if I need to use that for this purpose, but I figured if I needed to draw different information from 3 sources into one 'report,' that was the way to do it...

Can someone point me in the right direction... 

Thanks for any guidance.

Rich 

• 1. Re: Total newbie starting point
          davidanders

Was unable to find a suitable FMP database to start with, though I am sure there is one.

This site has links fdr lesson plans, online and a company that does them.

http://www.leasttern.com/teacher/lessonplans.html

I realize this does not answer your question, and may not be useful.

David Anders 

• 2. Re: Total newbie starting point
            philmodjunk

If you want to build your own system and use it as a way to learn filemaker, I'd suggest breaking things down into smaller pieces. You could set up a lesson plan only system for start and then add each sub section to it one at a time. You could then post questions here that focus on just the current part of the project. You might also want to get a book about filemaker to read up on. Getting a better handle on relationships and other database topics will greatly enhance your understanding of the posts found in this forum.

PS. Your project outline takes me back a few years. I once was a full time teacher and used FMP 2 (Flat file, no relationships) to print out lesson plans and to compute grades. :smileywink: