2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2009 9:11 AM by raybaudi

total record count

ahdavidson

Title

total record count

I would like to display the total number of records from multiple tables in my database on a kind of summary statistical layout.

On this layout, which is not related to any of the tables I am interested in summarizing, I would like to show the total number of records in other tables, regardless of any finds, sorts, or summary fields.

I see that that I could make a global calc field to hold the result of a Get(TotalRecordCount) function call, but this only returns records in the current table.

Is there any way to find out how many records are in other unrelated tables?

Thanks,

.andy 

• 1. Re: total record count
          ralvy

ahdavidson wrote:

I would like to display the total number of records from multiple tables in my database on a kind of summary statistical layout.

On this layout, which is not related to any of the tables I am interested in summarizing, I would like to show the total number of records in other tables, regardless of any finds, sorts, or summary fields.

I see that that I could make a global calc field to hold the result of a Get(TotalRecordCount) function call, but this only returns records in the current table.

Is there any way to find out how many records are in other unrelated tables?

Thanks,

.andy 

I'm still very new to FMP, but it seems that your problem is solved when you realize that any global field can be accessed by any unrelated table. So just put an instance of each of those global fields you mention above, in your "summary statistical layout."

• 2. Re: total record count
            raybaudi
               Hi ahdavidson

the global calculation approach isn't reliable...

Try by yourself to make a global calculation with calc: Get(TotalRecordCount) and you'll discover that deleting a record the field do not updates.

So the best way to obtain what you need is using a script that goes to each table, populates a $var and places the result into a text field