1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 8, 2013 10:56 AM by philmodjunk

Totaling Records In the Current Year

JerryHall

Title

Totaling Records In the Current Year

Ok, I'm pretty sure I've completely screwed this up...

I have tables that are linked by an IndividualID and I need to figure out how to total the number of Training Hours a person has for the current year.

I have a Training Class Table that holds all the classes that they might take and the hours of the class. Then I have a Class Attendees table that links the class to the Individuals. Then I have a training Tracking table that it used to track the number of required hours for the individual. I also have another table that is for training that is NOT done by US for an individual, called outside training. 

How do I pull the total of the current training for an individual from both the Outside Training Table as well as the Training Class table but only total the number for the current year. We have to track the number of hours they have taken for the year. I've been working on this, but something's not right, I would really appreciate any help anyone could lend here.

• 1. Re: Totaling Records In the Current Year
          philmodjunk

IF you perform a find for only records for a given year and sort them by person, a summary field can show you the yearly totals for a given year. But since you have two tables for this data, that isn't going to work for you unless you redesign your database to put all the training hours in the same table regardless of whether they are internal or external.

There are also ways to use relationships, filtered portals or ExecuteSQL (FileMaker 12 or newer) to get selective totals of related records:  Sum_Calculation based on condition