AnsweredAssumed Answered

Totalling value list responses in a Calculation field

Question asked by trevorlawson on Dec 15, 2008
Latest reply on Dec 29, 2008 by raybaudi

Title

Totalling value list responses in a Calculation field

Hi all,

As a newbie, please forgive my ignorance on Calculations.

In my questionnaire database, respondents have given an answer to a question.  The answer options are contained in a value list:

Very Poor

Poor

Reasonable

Good

Very good

So if the question was "What do you think of my Calculation writing skills", most will have selected "Very poor" from the drop down list. 

I have 360 respondents and want to show how many said "Very poor", "Poor" and so on, in a report.  I want to write a calculation field for each possible answer (five in all).

I've created a first calculation field for answer "Very poor" and cannot get the field to produce a number, because I'm getting syntax wrong.

The field containing the value list is called "QA07".  What should the calculation look like?  I think it should look something like this, but the syntax is way out somewhere. 

SUM ( If QA07 = Very poor )

The Specify Calculation dialogue box tells me that The specified field could not be found.

What I find a bit weird about Filemaker is that there are no operators on either side of a field to make it clear that it is a field, as is the case in, say, Excel.

One other thing.  Is Filemaker case-sensitive?  The reason that I ask is that one possible answer is "Very poor" whilst another is "Poor".  If I ask Filemaker to calculate how many said "Poor", will the answer also include those who chose "Very poor", even though it has a lower case "p"?

Any advice warmly welcomed.

Cheers,

Trevor 

Outcomes