AnsweredAssumed Answered

Totals

Question asked by MikeTV on Feb 9, 2009
Latest reply on Feb 9, 2009 by TSGal

Title

Totals & Sub Totals in Grouped Reports

My credentials:

• Experienced DataEase (for DOS) database developer....
  • .....but new to FileMaker
  • Using FM Pro 9 Advanced 

I am having trouble in showing Totals & Sub Totals in a grouped report. 

Scenario is this:

I have a table in a telephone call logging system which contains all the outgoing calls made. Data is held at individual call level and accumulates over time, resulting in a fairly large record count (currently around 12k records). Each call is flagged as either a "business" or a "personal" call.

The report I am trying to create needs to include only those records that lie between a pair of dates, these to be input by the user at run-time. The output needs to be grouped into "business" & "personal" calls, with sub-totals for each grouping and a grand total at the bottom.

The (sub)summary figures needed are: a count of the number of calls made, and the sum of the call costs, but only for calls within the specified time period.

Relevant table & field details as follows:

Table: PHONE_CALLS (about 12k records, but will get much bigger over time)

Fields: CallDate (user to select records on this, e.g. 01/01/2009 to 31/01/2009)

PhoneNumber

CallCost

BusinessOrPrivate  (report to group on this field)

I know how to make the output split into groups and list the record lines within each group, but I haven't dicovered how to provide the sub-totals and grand total needed.

This is familiar (and very easy) stuff to do in DataEase, but I'm left scratching my head a bit with FileMaker at the moment. Any help would be much appreciated.

Outcomes