2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2012 4:22 AM by cowtrax

Totals from multiple files

cowtrax

Title

Totals from multiple files

I have a parent table which has 5 "child" tables linked to it.  I have a screen which has 5 tabs which display the related records in 5 separate portals.  Each portal has a total of the displayed record amounts which i display at the top of each tab. Call each of these totals A,B,C,D and E. What I need to do is also show the "grand total" of all "tab" totals. ( A + B + C + D + E )

Is there a way to do that.  It would be adding up the totals from each portal totals.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Totals from multiple files
          philmodjunk

Use a calculation field defined in the parent table.

Option 1:

Sum ( RelatedTableA::Field ) + Sum ( RelatedTableB::Field ) + Sum ( RelatedTableC::field ) + Sum ( RelatedTableD::Field ) + Sum ( RelatedTableE::Field )

Option 2:

RelatedTableA::SummaryField + RelatedTableB::SummaryField + RelatedTableC::SummaryField + RelatedTableD::SummaryField + RelatedTableE::SummaryField

These Summary fields would be "total of" summary fields defined in each child table.

Option 1 will update more smoothly if you are editing data in these portals in your tab control. Option 2 may make use of summary fields you already have defined in these tables.

• 2. Re: Totals from multiple files
            cowtrax

Thanks much.