4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 9:15 AM by fluffyone

totals of a radio button field

fluffyone

Title

totals of a radio button field

hey group

I have a field with a radio button entry and it is numberd 1 to 12 for the button options, I would like to have a form that gives a running total total of each choice, I assume I will need a field with a calculation in for each number in the list, so i need 12 calculation fields, but i am struggling to work out how to create a calculation for this?

Regards Fluffy

• 1. Re: totals of a radio button field
          philmodjunk

Is this one radio button field in each record? (not several in one record)

If so, you can set up a summary report to count how many times each value was selected.

Define a summary field as the "count of" this radio button field. (counts all records where field is not empty)

Create a list view layout and replace the body layout part with a Sub Summary part set up with the "when sorted by yourRadioButtonField".

Put the Radio button field set up as a simple text box in this layout, then place the summary field next to it.

Make sure that your radio button field is formatted as a number field and not a text field so that it sorts in the expected order.

Find the records you want to see in this report. For all records Show All Records will do this.

Sort your records by the radio button field and you'll see one row for each value and the number of times that it was selected by a user.

This will have one possible draw back. If, by anychance, no one has selected a particular value, that value will not appear in this report as there are no records with that value to include in it. If this is an issue, we'd need to use a table of related records with 12 records--one for each value, in order to show the "zero selected" values along with the others.

• 2. Re: totals of a radio button field
            fluffyone

Thanks Phil I will play with this, I need to understand fully what I am trying to acheive first 8-)

I need to get the data into a portal or similer within a form eventually

Basically I want to show a row in a form from a related database and in this row will be the numbers 1 to 12 or so (representing group numbers) and next to them will be the total sum of all the numbers/groups based on the selected number in the radio button. it is for a sorting process and the numbers will represent groups. when i am asigning a record to a given group I want to have a view of the totals in all the groups so that I don't overload any perticuler group, the idea being to keep the groups as even as possible, so at the popint of clicking the radio button to select the group I can see the group totals which will enable me to keep the groups balanced or if the groups are getting too big i will be able to create a new group etc..

Does this make sense?

regards Fluffy

• 3. Re: totals of a radio button field
              philmodjunk

Not sure I have a clear picture of that.

You have a table of groups  in a table with one record per group?

In a related table you create records linked to these groups where you assign (something) by clicking a radio button?

3 assignments to a group would be 3 records in this related table?

and next to them will be the total sum of all the numbers/groups based on the selected number in the radio button.

Would that be the sum or the count?

I think it would help to know what the numbers selected by clicking a radio button represent here.

• 4. Re: totals of a radio button field
                fluffyone

Hi Phil

I will give this a bit more thought  and get back to you, I need to be fully clear in my mind what i am trying to acheive.

regard Fluffy