2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 10:19 AM by AugustMiller

Track Hard Drive Contents

AugustMiller

Title

Track Hard Drive Contents

I work for a small production company that specializes in commercials & advertising. As thus, we create a wealth of digital media, and therefore must manage a large volume of external hard drives and other media. I'm considering a switch to FileMaker to help manage these and all of our other assets.

With FileMaker, managing the physical assets is obviously no problem. But I'm wondering if there's a way to track the digital assets. A hypothetical example...

We just purchased a hard drive to offload digital footage during one of our film shoots. After the shoot, that hard drive will be packed away in our storage facility, along with the drives from all our other shoots. With FileMaker, I can easily track that drive so I know where it's at. But is it possible to also log the contents of that drive? In six months, if I'm looking for a specific video (let's say basketball123.mov), it would be great if I could search FileMaker for "basketball123.mov" and find out exactly what drive that video is on and where the drive is located.

I've toyed with the software NeoFinder, which is designed to scan hard drives and catalogue their contents, but I was hoping to find a solution that solves both needs in one fell swoop.

If anybody has any experience with this, I would appreciate the insight!

• 1. Re: Track Hard Drive Contents
          philmodjunk

It's theoretically possible to use FileMaker for this, FileMaker could use Import Records | Folder to import references to all the files in a folder--which could be your hard drive. The import could be setup to populate fields with the file name of each such movie file which could then be searched out in order to determine where the file is located.

But the devil will be in the details and I wonder about performance--both in the time needed to inventory the drive and to search the resulting database. You might download a 30 day free trial and run a few tests...

• 2. Re: Track Hard Drive Contents
            AugustMiller

Thanks for the input, Phil. I just got my hands on the trial. I'll start experimenting. I'm a little concerned about performance, as well... But we'll see how it goes!