1 Reply Latest reply on May 16, 2011 3:38 PM by philmodjunk

Tracking appointments by date

tb3

Title

Tracking appointments by date & time -

I'm using Filemaker for contact management and would like to integrate appointment and task scheduling. I'm lost and could use a little directrion. One file may have several scheduled dates associated with it. Over the course of a year, some files may have 30 plus events scheduled. Can this be set up in a way that I can examine all scheduled events associated with a single file. Also need to find all scheduled events across all files and need each event to associate with specific notes (description of the event, i.e. meeting, phone call, etc.) that go with it.  The To Do List template has all the right fields, ore fields than I need actually, but it keeps each task as an individual record. I see how one dated task per record would be easy to setup - but -  I need an individual contact record to contain multiple tasks. Can this be done? I would like to use Filemaker as an alternative to seperate scheduling software or a date book.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Tracking appointments by date & time -
          philmodjunk

Why do you want to use more than one file for this? That can really complicate things and is unlikely to be the best approach here.

With relational databases such as FileMaker you really do not want to do things such as creating "an individual contact record to contain multiple tasks". Instead you link your single contact record to all the relevant task records and then display them in a portal or possibly a list layout based on the tasks, but with fields from the contact record added to show to whom the tasks are assigned.

And since you may have a given task assigned to more than one person and more than one task assigned to a given person, you'll likely need a "join" table to link the two correctly:

Contacts----<Contact_Task>-----Tasks

contacts::ContactID = Contact_Tasks::ContactID
          Tasks::TasksID = Contact_Tasks::TaskID

Then you can use a portal to Contact_Tasks on a contact record to show all tasks assigned to that contact and you can use a portal to contact_Tasks on a Tasks layout to show all contacts assigned to that task.