1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 7, 2010 11:34 AM by philmodjunk

Tracking Records Deletes that have been done with the Records Menu

maryd@mdpsystemsinc.com

Title

Tracking Records Deletes that have been done with the Records Menu

I need to track Deletes but I cannot prevent my users form using the Records, Delete menu.  I have a log file that stores changes (based on triggers).  Is there any way to perhaps set a trigger that would save the details of the record being deleted in that log?  I cannot figure out how to capture the delete in the OnRecordCommit.

• 1. Re: Tracking Records Deletes that have been done with the Records Menu
          philmodjunk

I need to track Deletes but I cannot prevent my users form using the Records, Delete menu. 

Why not? Using Manage | Security, you can prohibit users from deleting records from a given table. You can then add a button that performs a script to delete the records that is set to "run with full access privileges" so that you can include stesp that "log the details".

If you have FileMaker advanced, you can use custom menus to replace the delete records action with your own script that both deletes the record and also logs the details in a log table.

Some developers prohibit deleting records all together and instead have delete scripts that mark records as deleted and then hide the records from the user. That gives users the opportunity to bring back a "deleted" record by finding it and returning it to undeleted status.