3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2013 4:46 PM by philmodjunk

Tracking Time Off

EP

Title

Tracking Time Off

I set up a Time Off Tracking system in an HR database.  This system tracks time off accruals and remaining balance (based on how many hours an emplyee used).  everything is working fine, but I am stuck on one area.  I want the system to total the amount of unsed days at the end of each year and record the number in each record.  I then want the system to reset accruals to zero for January 1st of every year and start accruing all over again.

Any advice?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Tracking Time Off
          philmodjunk

Your layout design may make a difference here. One simple option, but one that does not work for every layout design is to  use a running total summary field to compute the total time off accruals with the "restart totals when grouped by option" to restart the totals at zero. The restart to zero requires a specific field be used in your sort order so it may or may not work for you.

I want the system to total the amount of unsed days at the end of each year and record the number in each record.

In each record of what table?

• 2. Re: Tracking Time Off
            EP

For some reason, I didn't know there was a reply to my post, apologies for the delay.

In each record of what table?

The Personnel Table

This is a bit complicated because I need to be able to store accruals somehow, perhaps by month?  Reason is, if someone accrues at 1 day/month....and mid-year gets a raise in July and is now accruing at 1.5 days/month, I need to be able to store the accrual amount for the period before July.  I searched high and low and posted on here.  Is tracking accruals not a common practice?

Another idea, would it be practical to track accruals by month (12 fields).  Set up a calc field for each month that looks like this: HRPersonnel::SumAccruedFebruary - HRPersonnel::SumHoursUsedFebruary; this would return how many hours (or days) were left remaining for each  month?

• 3. Re: Tracking Time Off
              philmodjunk

What you describe could be done, but requires either 12 ExecuteSQL calcualtions in Filemaker 12 or 12 different relationships to match to records of a specific month and year to compute the monthly totals if you don't have Filemaker 12 or don't want to use SQL.

A table of 12 related records instead of 12 different fields may make for a simpler approach. But nearly all of this can be tracked in some kind of employee work record. The exact details of that approach would vary depending on whether you are dealing with salaried or hourly staff. And you shouldn't need to record the accural rate for each month. Instead it should be sufficient to only record when the rate changes by adding a new related record linked to that employee with a date showing the effective date. Your employee work record table--which would track a lot more than just accrued vacation time would reference the appropriate related record for the accrural rate used.

A summary report or a summary recap can be used to list the accrued vacation time for each employee.