12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 3:59 PM by kupietz

Trailing Grand Summary in fixed position when printing

GFS

Title

Trailing Grand Summary in fixed position when printing

Hi,

I'm currently redesigning my invoices layout and would like to have the Trailing Grand Summary part, stay at the bottom of the page when printing.  Currently I have a line items section above it, in the Body part and which has to 'shrink' in order for the line items to be displayed correctly.  This shrinkng means that the enclosing part is resized and so the Trailing Grand Summary often prints half way up the page.  Is there any way I can keep it at the bottom?  NB, I have a Footer below it.

Any help much appreciated,

Grant

• 1. Re: Trailing Grand Summary in fixed position when printing
          Sorbsbuster

You can put the grand summary info in the footer, from memory.

• 2. Re: Trailing Grand Summary in fixed position when printing
            GFS

Thanks for the reply Sorsbuster.

Unfortunately, putting them in the Footer means that the summaries (sub-totals, tax, totals) appear on each page of the invoice, which I don't want.

• 3. Re: Trailing Grand Summary in fixed position when printing
              Sorbsbuster

If you only had a max of two pages you could add an empty title footer...?

• 4. Re: Trailing Grand Summary in fixed position when printing
                GFS

I don't understand how that should work.  I've tried it this way : Body (line items) / Trailing Grand Summary (tax and totals) / Footer (letterhead details) / Title Footer. It doesn't appear to help in any way I can see.

(The Footer I already have contains letterhead info and needs to be present on each page.)  Shame there is not a 'sliding down' option in FM.

• 5. Re: Trailing Grand Summary in fixed position when printing
                  Sorbsbuster

I believe the Title footer only appears on the first page, and the footer on each subsequent page.  I haven't tested to see what happens if there only is one page.  So I was suggesting you give it a go to put nothing in the title footer (hence nothing on the first page) and the summary data in the footer section.

• 6. Re: Trailing Grand Summary in fixed position when printing
                    GFS

Yes that's correct, but as I said, I have a Footer which must appear on each page.  Since you can only have 1 iteration of a Footer, what you are suggesting doesn't work. :(

I actually find this pretty amazing.  i've been using FM for my business since the early 90s.  Way back then, people complained about its limited and complex printing issues.  After almost 20 years, they're still present.  How hard can it be?

• 7. Re: Trailing Grand Summary in fixed position when printing
                      ErnestoBeyer

Did you ever figure this out? I am in the same situation.

• 8. Re: Trailing Grand Summary in fixed position when printing
                        dysartj

I have a similar situation/requirement, but it involves a trailing subsummary. In my case, I have created a policy manual in which some policies are multi-page.

Each policy is one record.

I require a title area at the beginning (first page) of each policy containing info specific to that policy (number, date of adoption/amendment, authority etc.)

The body of the policy varies form a few lines to a few pages. At the end of each policy is a "footer' in the MS Word vernacular that has a signature block. This signature block is also policy specific. Therefore I require a trailing subsummary rather than a footer.

When the body shrinks, the trailing subsummary (the Word "footer") floats with the end of the body rather than staying at the bottom of the last page of the record.

The objective is to provide a method of have any particular policy or group of policies to be printed with each beginning on a new page and having just enough pages for the length of the policy with the signature block anchored to the bottom of the last page of each policy.

I am currently using FMPro 11 and will be upgrading to 12 in the fall.

All suggestions appreciated.

JD

• 9. Re: Trailing Grand Summary in fixed position when printing
                          GFS

Absurd workaround :

Disable the header and footer elements on the print layout (in the hope that Filemaker will produce a fix sometime this decade, at which time you can re-enable them).

Make a new layout the same size with just a Body element.

Make a new field (global container) and fill the layout.

Copy and paste the header/footer elements from the original layout and position as they were on the original layout.

Add the Borders that don't work on the original layout.

Now, from original layout, print to pdf.

Go to new layout and import your pdf into your new container field.

Print again to pdf.

A lot of fiddling may be required for positioning of elements and order of the stack (front to back), but at least now when I send an invoice via email, the Footer is not floating around in limbo 2 or 3 cm below the body of the text.  You have to wonder if Filemaker just don't like the 'paperless office' concept.

• 10. Re: Trailing Grand Summary in fixed position when printing
                            kupietz

Don't use a trailing grand summary. Put the fields from the Trailing Grand Summary into the footer, above the contents that are currently the entire footer.

Then, have a button that calls a script to print/enter preview mode. When this script is called, the first thing it does is uses "Go To Last Record/Request/Page". It then sets a variable $lastPage equal to "get(pagenumber)".

Then, in the Inspector, under the Data tab, set all the Trailing Grand Summary info (now in the footer) to be hidden unless get(pagenumber)=$lastPage. The information will be invisible on all but the last page.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Trailing Grand Summary in fixed position when printing
                              greg@heinie.net

kupiet,

Thanks for posting this technique, it works beautifully!

Cheers,

Greg

• 12. Re: Trailing Grand Summary in fixed position when printing
                                kupietz

You're welcome, glad to hear it. I had encountered the same problem in a project I was working on.