5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 12:09 PM by KingGraham

transaction log / history

KingGraham

Title

transaction log / history

I want to record all changes to Filemaker records after their initial creation, so I can see who changed what and when.

Is there an installation setup parameter, either in Filemaker Pro Client, or in Filemaker Server, to do this please?

Thanks,

Graham

• 1. Re: transaction log / history
          pgodin

Hi,

You can create fields that will automatically set the date, time, and account of who/when the change was done. As far as what field, here's my suggestion:

Make a layout with all fields that are not modifiable. Have a modify button which will set temporary (Global) fields with the correspondent data (ie, g_First_Name = First_Name). 

Then have a submit button which verify which field was modified. You can then script the verification of all global fields vs. original fields and create a new records in a "Transaction_Log" table with Who, When, What field was modified, old value, new value etc. 

If no fields were modified, then no record is created in the Transaction_Log table. 

Just have you tables linked with their ID. 

Then you can create a new layout (Main Table) with a portal (Transaction Log Table) and view all changes that were done to the record that you are on.

Phil

• 2. Re: transaction log / history
            pgodin

Oh and just for safety, put a Cancel button on the Modification Layout which will then reset the original fields with the data that are in the global fields.

And remember to clear the data in the global fields on Cancel and Submit,

Let me know if you have any quesetions,

Phil

• 3. Re: transaction log / history
              comment_1

KingGraham wrote:
              Is there an installation setup parameter, either in Filemaker Pro Client, or in Filemaker Server, to do this please?

No, you have to implement this yourself. The only thing you get out of the box is the option to auto-enter who was the last one to modify a record and when.

Here are two audit log demos you could adapt to your needs:
              http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/153729/
              http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos8/demo809.html

See also:
              http://www.worldsync.com/fmDataGuard/index.html

pgodin wrote:
              Have a modify button which will set temporary (Global) fields with the correspondent data (ie, g_First_Name = First_Name).

Then have a submit button which verify which field was modified.

I strongly suggest you do no such thing. See here for an explanation why:
              http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/181617/#227590

• 4. Re: transaction log / history
                pgodin

comment wrote:

I strongly suggest you do no such thing. See here for an explanation why:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/181617/#227590

Well, simple, on Modify Click:

If(Modifying="Yes")

Show Dialog ("Someone is modifying this records please wait")

Else

Set Field Modifying="Yes"

End If

On Submit and Cancel

Set Field Modifying =""

Just a thought I had. Never said it was the best one. :)

Phil

• 5. Re: transaction log / history
                  KingGraham

whew! thanks for all the feedback.

Have now decided to take a different tack:

Have created a field "archived".

I allow someone (in book-keeping) to set it (via a script) to "YES" once all data for that month has been entered, corrected, modified, and then corrected again (I'm talking of monthly accounts,  which sooner or later need to be concluded).

Normal users are assigned to a user group with restricted access, preventing them from deleting or modifying records with archived=YES. This should in theory be relatively rare (though can cause big problems when it would happen). Any changes then need to be carried out in conjunction with book-keeping, so that they are not then surprised by post-closure modifications.

All in all, is in fact for our case a superior solution to finding out who the guilty culprit was...

Took your feedback to make me think of it though...

Thanks, Graham