5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2013 8:28 AM by philmodjunk

Transferring shared FM 12 database to another computer

Title

Transferring shared FM 12 database to another computer

I have a single-file FM12 (*.fmp12) database that resides on a corporate network.  The database is shared using network sharing linking to the TCP/IP address of the host PC.

Can someone please direct me to a set of instructions to transfer or migrate that database file to another PC, and then reshare the file from that new PC.

I know how to share the file, and link to the file from the network.  But I tried to just move the database to a new PC, only to receive shared file errors.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Transferring shared FM 12 database to another computer
          schamblee

What error are you getting? 

You just copy the database to the new computer and then you enable file sharing in filemaker.   The new computer must be running Filemaker 12 and each client must have a copy of filemaker or filemaker go, except for IWP which uses web browser.

• 2. Re: Transferring shared FM 12 database to another computer

That's exactly the procedure I followed: I copied the database to the new host. Set up file sharing (> File > Sharing > FileMaker network ...). And yes, both the new host computer and the new client remote are running FMP12.

After copying the database to the new host PC, and attempting to open the database from FMP12 on the new host, I received the error indicating that it was a shared file:

[database name] is a shared file. Opening a shared file directly from a remote volume will reduce performance and can affect reliability. You should instead share the file by opening it with FileMaker software on the same computer where the file is stored on disk. You can then open the file remotely from your computer using the Open Remote command. Do you still want to open this file?

[Open without sharing] [Open] [Cancel]

Perhaps it's because the new host was the former client? Perhaps I need to disable remote file sharing from the original host PC?

Thank you for your assistance.

• 3. Re: Transferring shared FM 12 database to another computer
              philmodjunk

The shared file should always be opened on the hosting computer--the computer where the file is physcially located by a copy of Filemaker Pro or FileMaker Server installed on that same computer.

Other users then launch FileMaker Pro and use Open Remote to find and open the file on their computer.

File Sharing--opening the file directly on a shared directory by double clicking the file or using Open instead of Open Remote is strongly advised against as this can damage the database file.

• 4. Re: Transferring shared FM 12 database to another computer

I appreciate your comments. I am aware of all of your points. However, none of these are related to the problem.  After much experimentation, this is the process to move a shared database to another PC:

1.           Open shared database on the existing host computer.
                3.           Disable file sharing for the file you want to move:           

1.                     File > Sharing > FileMaker Network.
                  3.                     In the 'FileMaker Network Settings' window:                     

1.                               The currently open file should be selected in the 'Currently open files' field on the left side of the window. If not, select the file that you want to disable file sharing for.
                    3.                               Select 'Network Sharing Off' radio button.
                    5.                               Click 'OK' to accept changes.

5.           Now disable extended privileges:           

1.                     File > Manage > Security.
                  3.                     In the 'Manage Security for [name of database file]' window:                     

1.                               Select the 'Extended Privileges' tab.
                    3.                               From the 'Extended Privileges' tab window:                               

1.                                         Select the 'fmapp' keyword [Access via FileMaker Network].
                      3.                                         Click 'Edit' at the bottom of the window.
                      5.                                         In the 'Edit Extended Privilege' window:                                         

1.                                                   Disable (turn off) the following check boxes in the 'Access' section at the bottom of the window:                                                   

1.                                                             [Full Access]
                          2.                                                        
                          3.                                                             [Data Entry Only]
                          4.                                                        
                          5.                                                             [Read-Only Access]

3.                                                   Click 'OK' to accept changes.

5.                               Click 'OK' to accept changes.

You can now copy the database file to the new host computer, and reset file sharing from the new host computer.

• 5. Re: Transferring shared FM 12 database to another computer
                  philmodjunk

The steps you list should not be necessary. You should be able to copy the file to the new computer without changing any of the file's sharing settings. But sharing does need to be turned on for the FileMaker application installed. Note that turning sharing on or off is a change in application preferences, not a change to the file being shared.

The error message you reported:

"[database name] is a shared file. Opening a shared file directly from a remote volume will reduce performance and can affect reliability..."

Should only appear if the file is being shared in the manner that I cautioned against.