AnsweredAssumed Answered

Translation (equivalent value lists)?

Question asked by ColinH on Apr 1, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 3, 2014 by ColinH

Title

Translation (equivalent value lists)?

Hello... I'm sure there is a simple way of doing this...
     I am creating a database that is mainly in French. One of its functions however will be to produce an English translation of a standard document (in its own Layout, intended for printing). I need this particular layout to display English translations of various fields in my French database, most of which are value-lists (so, simple one-to-one translations). Of course I could create new calculation fields for each English term that needs to appear on the English layout, but that seems a little heavy-handed, especially as the correspondences are direct and invariable (so tokens a, b, c in French value-list 1 will always correspond respectively to tokens x,y, z in English value list 2). Can I not use table relationships somehow to create a kind of "translation table" (like a localisation file I guess) that automatically aligns values in the French fields with English equivalents and displays these on my English layout? Am I making sense? It strikes me that this should be easy, but for some reason I can't see how to do it...  Many thanks for any help.

Outcomes