4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2010 8:48 AM by Radcon

Trapping for unfriendly messages

Radcon

Title

Trapping for unfriendly messages

Hi,

I have implemented record level access to lock records so that unwanted changes are minimized.  Works fine, but when a user tries to modify a field, they are presented with "Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action".   I have tried using the Get(LastError) function in a custom dialog box on several OnObject triggers, but have not been able to catch the error

(Set Error Capture(ON)).  How can I replace the unfriendly message with a simple "Record is locked" message?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Trapping for unfriendly messages
          davidhead

Try this script applied to the fields in question as an OnObjectKeystroke trigger:

If [ Let ([ key = Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) ) ]; key = 9 or key = 10 or key = 28 or key = 29 or key = 30 or key = 31 )]

#do nothing

Else If [ Get ( AccountPrivilegeSetName ) = "user" ]

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Error"; Message: "Field is locked"; Buttons: “OK” ]

Exit Script [ Result: 0 ]

End If

The If allows keystrokes such as tab, enter and arrow keys in the field.

The Else If traps for a specific privilege set, shows a custom error dialog and exits with 0 (false). This exit cancels the keystroke so the RLA error never appears.

• 2. Re: Trapping for unfriendly messages
            Radcon

Thanks for your quick reply!

The script certainly traps the error message, but now I can't unlock the field.  I have a little lock icon that I click on to toggle the lock status of the record, and when I unlock the record, I still get the scripted dialog box that says the record is locked even though it isn't.  I suppose this script should check for the lock status flag before doing anything else? Also, will I have to apply this script trigger to all fields on the layout, or can I use a OnLayout script trigger?

• 3. Re: Trapping for unfriendly messages
              davidhead

Aha, so this is what happens when you don't provide enough information about what you have set up and how! :)

I could guess at what you will need to do but without knowing how you have set it up so far, it would be a great deal of guessing. For example, what does the lock do - toggle a field between 1 and 0? What is the RLA test you have applied? What privilege sets are affected? etc...

Sorry.

• 4. Re: Trapping for unfriendly messages
                Radcon

Don't be sorry, you helped me tremendously!

Here's the script that works: 

If [ Let (

key = Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) ) ;

key=9 or key=10 or key=28 or key=29 or key=30 or key=31

) ]

#do nothing; certain keystrokes are allowed

Else If [ RME Items::Lock = 0 ]

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Record is locked"; Message: "Click on the lock below to make changes"; Buttons: “OK” ]

Exit Script [ Result: 0 ]

End If

On fields with drop down menus, I had to use the OnObjectEnter trigger.  The field briefly flashes before the dialog message appears and is slightly annoying, but it does work.  The script used in a regular edit field with a OnObjectKeystroke works beautifully.  Thanks again!!