AnsweredAssumed Answered

Trial version ... question re "compound keys"

Question asked by MikeG on May 6, 2009
Latest reply on Jun 12, 2011 by frankn

Title

Trial version ... question re "compound keys"

I am using the trail version of FileMaker Pro Advanced to see if it can handle a specific requirement we have.  I have used MS Access before, and am also fairly conversant with DB concepts.  I want for several of the tables I want to create to assign compound keys, i.e., if I have a field called Customer and another called Effective Date I want the key to the file to be a combination of both fields.  Some cases it will be 2 fields, in some cases 3 or 4.  How do I do this? 

Related question ... I will have some transaction tables where, for example with carrying on the same concept, I want the user to enter the customer and the transaction date and then have the entry screen pull the rate field from the customer table ... so for example, if I have customer ABC with two records ... one with a date of May 1 2009 and one with a date of June 1 2009 - if they enter a transaction if May it should use the rate from the May 1 table record and if after June 1 from the June 1 table record.

Any help would be appreciated.  Could not find out about the compound keys by a forum search of the help / tutorial info, and the second question is just my way of avoiding searching and playing for 2 hours!

Cheers,

Mike

Outcomes