1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 31, 2011 9:53 AM by philmodjunk

Trial version 11.0V2 keeps crashing

dennispost

Title

Trial version 11.0V2 keeps crashing

After I purchased Bento it appeared the dBase is very limited, so i downloaded the trial version if FilemakerPro 11.0V2. I was ready to purchase, but after the trial version crashed 4 times after I tried to import an extremely simple Bento dBase (8 fields, 21 records) I have serious doubts. I thought FMPro was as stable as a rock, guess I was wrong, after the trail expires.....bye, bye FMPro. Frown

I have a brand new iMac OS 10.6.7, as well as a MacBook Pro, all software is up to date. Its NOT the hardware clearly.

• 1. Re: Trial version 11.0V2 keeps crashing
          philmodjunk

FileMaker is very stable for me. We use it for a high volumne Point of Sale type system with very, very few hiccups and no crashes to mention.

You could have a bad install of FileMaker. Since you have a Mac, you might try trashing FileMakers Preferences file.

Your file might have a problem. You'd have to describe when and how the file is crashing in more detail before we might be able to help you resolve the problem.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get consistent crashes:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?

Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

What is reported when you recover the file?

The file could be damaged.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?

That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...