1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 12, 2012 9:32 AM by philmodjunk

triggering script on host form remote device.

ericjlindholm

Title

triggering script on host form remote device.

I have developed a very useful database for my company.  I want to give my sales team Ipads to access the DB from the field.  It would appear that the only thing that they cannot do is save/send PDF documents.  It works perfectly on my host desktop version.  It even saves the PDFs to a container folder.  Is there anyway to trigger a script on the host computer from a remote user device?  Thank you.  

• 1. Re: triggering script on host form remote device.
          philmodjunk

Sort of. If this is hosted with FileMaker Server, you can set up a server schedule that performs the same script at regular intervals. If this is hosted with FileMaker Pro, you can use Install OnTimer Script to perform a script at regular intervals.

Either way, this method works like this:

The Ipad script sets values in a special table set up for this purpose. Each record in this table serves as a "flag" that a task is needed to be perfomred and other fields in the same record specify any needed criteria so that the server script can reproduce the same result as the client iPad.

The periodic script on the host computer then performs finds on this table to find unserviced tasks and then processes them. This doesn't give you instant responses, but does allow you to set up the host to do specified tasks.

BTW, Do you have the latest version of FM GO? I don't use an iOS device, but the posts over in the FM GO forum (See tab at top of this screen), suggest that you can save and send a PDF from FM GO, if you are using an up to date release of the product if I remember correctly.