here is the photo
oh and here is the table (with the sort taken out"
Can you show what this layout looks like in Layout Mode (edit layout)?
This really looks like a layout that will be nicer with a list view layout with added sub summary layout parts for your group data. And it will be much easier to correctly format text color, etc when you use that layout design option.
1) Here is the photo for the layout.
2) The reason I want to use the "table" mode is because im making a "tasks to do" db for me and my staff. Sometimes I want to see all the tasks but sorted by person responsible... and sometimes I want to see all taskes by centre, and sometimes i want to see it all by "action".
I figured table mode is most efficient way to view it all as its all already arranged the way I want to see it (where in List Mode) I have to go in and edit and design a layout. Not that I mind doing so, but I figured that most simplest solution (table mode) would be... well the simplest!
I just wanna know why I cant change those colours... coz it really should not be this difficult...
Also wanted to add I made the above example purely to highlight the "colour issue". didnt take pic of my actual project as I wanted to replicate the problem "cleanly" (ie i'm not sure if I changed something that was affecting the colour) which is why what the above example looks a bit illogical.
In my "actual project" I have setup 3 different layouts, one sorted by "department", one sorted by "action". By default the "group field" background is dark grey, and the text light grey. All I simply want to do is change the background to white (which I can do), and the text to black (which is what i cant figure out how to do). Purpose of this is to improve readability and to save black ink.
Thanks again in advance :)
2) The reason I want to use the "table" mode is...
But all of that can be done with a list view layout. You don't have to use Table View. And you'll have many more options for how to customize this layout to work for you. In fact, if the only difference between each layout is how the records are sorted and grouped, a single list view layout with buttons to sort your records with a single mouse click can serve in place of 3 different layouts.
1) Maybe for me it's more a matter of limitation of Filemaker skills (which is why I found the table view easier). Like I found "lining up " the fields in "list view" a "waste of time" (i.e. it table view already lines it up for me, why put in the extra effort? Understand that ther are more customixation options, but the goal (For me) was to save time
2) In List view, how do I create the equivalent of the table view "leading group by [field]? as well as "leading subtotals". AS I said before Im not that skilled in filemaker so I know how to do it in table mode, but not in list mode.
3) But back to the original quesion... why cant I just change the colour of the text? Given that table mode is exactly what I want, wouldnt it be easier just to change the colour than have to go and re-design the db in list mode? Why is the "leading group by name" in Green and the rest in grey (an d not in the assigned colours). Is it some bug?
Ive attached the picture of the OTHER database I did... and very simply this is what I want. EXCEPT instead of a blue line I want it in white. BUT I cant understand WHY I was able to make the txt in BLACK in this one, but CANNOT change it on the other one. I guess if you add in all the time ive spent trying to change the colour of the text I could have re-deigned it in list mode.. but it still doesnt make sense to me why that is the more "logical solution" IF I can achieve this in one or two clicks (especially when it the software is (theorietically) designed to do what I want it to do.
2) You add a sub summary layout part, specify the "sorted by field" such as Centre Name and put your Centre Name field in this sub summary layout part. You can put any number of fields that helps into this "sub head". You can include summary fields to get sub totals. And a sub summary layout part can appear either above or below the group of records grouped with that part. (and you can use two to get one above and one below).
3) From what I saw, you did change the color of the text, but the color change only appeared in the "group headers" the data appearing in the same column did not look like data from the Centre Name field as I saw data from other columns there.
Firstly I just wanna thank you for your help (youve acutally help me a lot with my previous problems to!)
2) I tried this, but aftter I do it, it doesnt show me all the records, it just filters some of them out.
3) There is an extra field (which I have not shown) called "staff name". Similar to the example I made above (with the different colours), I changed the field font to BOLD & BLACK, and the "group header" took on this attribute. As I said before I dont know why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Can you try and replicate the problem on your end? I just want this solved... I tried your suggesion but its not working (ok I guess I can put more time into investigating it, but I am just really busy now and just wanna solve this quickly with minimal re-design effort)
Is there somewhere else I can maybe look to find the solution? I have searched the best I could on google (no answer), filemaker help files(could not find how to change text colour, only background), a filemaker book I have (same no mention on the text colour), and these forums (cant seem to word it properly / find a similar problem).
Is it that there is a bug in my version? Becuase I find it unlikely that Im the only person in the world who is having this problem.
Thanks in advacnce :)
2) sub summary layout parts do not filter out any records if you also keep the body layout part. You may find this tutorial on summary report helpful: Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial
But you are also welcome to describe how you "tried this" in more detail so that I can show you how to set it up. It's not that difficult once you done this type of thing the first time around.
3) I don't consider table view a practical view to use for the general user. In my book, it's a very valuable tool for the developer to use when analyzing the function of the database design. Thus, the "grouping" features of Table View are pretty far down my list of things that interest me about FileMaker.
I don't think that this is really a "bug" but more likely a case of trying to get table view to do something that it wasn't really set up to do. Report an Issue is the part of this forum that is set up for reporting possible bugs. I monitor it pretty closely as it is the source of data for my Known Bugs List database that I make available to the FileMaker community and I haven't seen any similar reports posted there. But you are welcome to post an issue report there so that you can discuss this with the Tech Support personnel that monitor that section of this forum.
I offer you my apologies. I broke down and tested this and I am definitely getting some bug like behavior here. Only the color for the last field showed in the leading group part and this part and it's color remained even if I deleted the field from the layout and the color did not change if I went back to layout mode and specified a different color.
Hey Phil, no worries… I;ve just decided to "give up" for now… just gonna leave it as it is… will let you know if I can solve it somehow. Thanks again for the help. Im too busy atm to go to the "bugs" forum, but please do maybe make a post there if you can (maybe u can explain the problem better than me).
I really think you should set this up as a list view. It offers so much more control over how each "sub head" looks.
Willie Lau and PhilModJunk:
Thank you for your posts.
I am able to replicate the issue with FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 running under Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.9.2. I have sent your posts along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review. When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.