6 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2014 2:21 PM by deathrobot

Trouble converting to a custom theme

deathrobot

Title

Trouble converting to a custom theme

I recently upgraded to FM13 Advanced. As far as my layouts go, I currently have everything as local styles; I just started with the "Classic Theme" and custom created everything, ignoring the theme completely. I'd like to now convert these local styles to a custom theme. I've started by going to my first layout, clicking on an object, saving it as a new style (repeat for various objects), and finally saving the theme as a new theme called "Custom Theme". So, now the layout consists of both objects with my cutom styles (the ones I use on multiple layouts) which are now part of "Custom Theme", plus objects that I didn't bother to save as a style (they may only be used on that one layout, for example.) So far, so good.

Now I go to my next layout. The theme for that layout shows the "Classic Theme", since that was what I had started the layout with. Is there a way to change that to my new "Custom Theme" without actually applying it to all the objects on the page? Ideally, I'd like to continue to add to my "Custom Theme" by saving styles for SOME objects without disrupting the others. If I don't change the theme to my "Custom Theme", Fm will only allow me to save these new styles as a new theme, not add them to my existing "Custom Theme." And i I first change the theme from "Classic" to "Custom Theme", I lose formatting for all the objects on the layout. I guess what I'm looking for is a collection of custom styles that I can use on all layouts without having to apply an entire theme.

Thanks for any advice!
           Michael

• 1. Re: Trouble converting to a custom theme
          philmodjunk

That's an interesting "catch-22".

I suggest using Duplicate Layout to make a copy of your layout. Convert it to your new custom theme.

Then copy and paste objects from the original copy of the layout to the duplicated copy. Then you can add them as a style for your new theme on this copy of your layout.

Once you feel fairly confident that you've added all the needed new styles, you can try applying the new theme to the original copy of the layout and watch to see if anything changes in an unexpected fashion. You can always revert by not saving your layout changes if you find that this produced unexpected changes.

Please note that I am not speaking from the experience of actually doing this. I'm just extrapolating from what I understand about how this process is supposed to work.

• 2. Re: Trouble converting to a custom theme
            deathrobot

Thanks, Phil. I suspected it might take something as manual as that. Actually really, duplicating the layout, changing the them on the original, deleting everything, and copying over everything from the duplicated layout seems like a good idea that shouldn't be TOO troublesome. I appreciate the advice!

Michael

• 3. Re: Trouble converting to a custom theme
              philmodjunk

That's not exactly what I described, but if that works for you, go for it.

• 4. Re: Trouble converting to a custom theme
                deathrobot

Ha. Just trying to use as few steps as possible. BTW,I tried the "everything" method, and at first glance it works great. One thing I noticed that changed is tab order. Is there anything else you know of that doesn't get copied over when you copy from one layout to another? I'd hate to do this on every layout just to find out I broke something important!

Thanks, Phil.

Michae

• 5. Re: Trouble converting to a custom theme
                  philmodjunk

Tab order is the one "gotcha" that comes to my mind.

Though you might want to group all your selected layout objects, note the top and left settings in the inspector's position tab (change units to pts) befor pasting into the other layout. You can then, if necessary, adjust the top and left values for the  pasted group before ungrouping to make sure that the position of every layout object exactly matches the source layout from which you copied them.

• 6. Re: Trouble converting to a custom theme
                    deathrobot

Thanks, Phil.

Michael