1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 2:15 PM by philmodjunk

Trouble displaying data without use of a portal

raykennedy

Title

Trouble displaying data without use of a portal

Here is my basic setup

Main Table: TRANSACTION

Table 2: AGENT (lists all available agents that can be assigned to the TRANSACTION. This is important because having the ability to add agents and change contact data across multiple transactions is needed.)

In the TRANSACTION table I have two indexed ID's. one is _kf_listingagent_id and one is _kf_sellingagent_id. These pull the agents FULL NAME through a pop up menu from the related table AGENT on my TRANSACTION FORM. So now the TRANSACTION has two AGENTS assigned to it.

AGENT has contact fields in it. I want to list the contact information right on the TRANSACTION FORM but when you do this there is no way to list both agents information because Filemaker does not know which field belongs to _kf_listingagent_id vs. _kf_sellingagent_id within the TRANSACTION FORM. 

I could probably use a join table and display this all through a portal. The only problem is that this will limit the flexibility I have to develop reports because the data has to be displayed through a portal.

I hope my explanation was clear. Any ideas on a solution to this without using a portal. Or maybe there are ways I can still use the portal in a way I am unaware of. Still a novice with Filemaker.

• 1. Re: Trouble displaying data without use of a portal
          philmodjunk

"I want to list the contact information right on the TRANSACTION FORM but when you do this there is no way to list both agents information because Filemaker does not know which field belongs to _kf_listingagent_id vs. _kf_sellingagent_id within the TRANSACTION FORM."

Filemaker can list info for both agents if you establish two different relationships to AGENT from Transaction.

Transaction::_kf_listingagent_id = Agent::AgentID

Transacttion::_kf_sellingagent_id = SellingAgent::AgentID

SellingAgent is an added table occurrence of Agent. To create it, open Manage | Database | Relationships, click AGENT to select it and then click the button with two green plus signs. You can double click this new occurrence to change its name.

Now you can add contact fields from Agent for your listing agent contact fields and fields from SellingAgent for your selling agent contact fields.

If "Table Occurrence" is a new concept, you might check out this link for more info:  

Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?