1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 5, 2015 9:28 AM by philmodjunk

Trouble opening password protected database

NicolaJones

Title

Trouble opening password protected database

Hi all,

Have been using Filemaker Pro 11 on Windows via a remote desktop connection for years in my company. We all share access to our company database, and so the file always opens automatically via the 'recent database' list when you login.

We are now wanting to convert to Mac. I therefore installed a free trial of Filemaker Pro 11 for Mac, and tried to open our database file (which I accessed by emailing a zipped version of it from pc) in the Mac version. I am then prompted with a request for User and Password. I tried our Filemaker master account username and password and they didn't work. Nor did any System logins for the Mac computer itself.

Can anyone offer advice? Am I trying to access the file incorrectly, or do I need to request a username/password change somehow?

Cheers

• 1. Re: Trouble opening password protected database
          philmodjunk

You don't actually use the USER name to log in. You use the ACCOUNT name along with the password to log in. I'd use your original means of access to open the file, open manage security and check to see what accounts are defined for opening the file. Make sure that you are correctly entering this account name as part of your log in credentials.

You probably are doing that, however, but check. It sounds like you are using external authentication to log in to your database. If so, you may need to check those settings in your system as they may not be correctly configured for the Mac computer.

Account names are defined in Manage | Security. User Names are defined in Preferences and are specific to the computer user account on a specific computer rather than a defined account in a particular file. FileMaker then confuses the issue by automatically entering the current USER name as the default ACCOUNT name in the log in dialog when you first open the file.