AnsweredAssumed Answered

Trouble with External Storage Container Field

Question asked by flovelett on Apr 9, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 21, 2015 by flovelett

Title

Trouble with External Storage Container Field

I've created an image database with about 3000 records. A container field is set up with open external storage with a folder (same parent folder as the database) containing JPG's.

Problems:

1. Some image files links (1-5%) are broken each time the database is opened even when the image file has not moved. A "missing file" icon displays in the container field.
  3. Re-inserting (the original) picture file into the container field results in a copy (or copies) of the file appearing in the external storage folder: 0100.jpg, 0100-1,jpg, 0100-2.jpg.
  5. When the image files were cataloged with a Digital Asset Manager "DAM" (for keywording), FileMaker displayed an error icon in each container field: <Tampered: filename.jpg>. The files were not moved.

This is the first time I've used external storage for a container field. I understand why using the DAM software caused the error message (most DAM's write to XMP descriptor fields, but am puzzled by the "missing file" problem & file replication.

How should I manage this? Is there a way of changing container field behavior so that minor file modification does not create the link to be lost? Do I need to maintain a separate set of image files for keywording?

Is there any way to relink all 3000 image files other than manually?

(FM Pro 12.0v4 running on Mac OS X 10.6.8)

Thanks,

Felicia Lovelett

Outcomes