AnsweredAssumed Answered

Trouble with Value Lists and Relationships

Question asked by beckles88 on May 20, 2010
Latest reply on May 20, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Trouble with Value Lists and Relationships

Hi All,

I am building a student system and when a student enrols they must be assigned a tutor depending on the course, the course type, whether the tutor is active and also if the tutor has spaces available on that course.

A tutor is active if 'Tutor Status' = "Active" and 'Tutor Allocation' = "Allocate" these fields are in a Tutor table.

I used a calculation If(Tutor Status = "Active" and Tutor Allocation = "Allocate"; "Yes"; "No") to calculate an 'Active Tutor' field.

There is a Course Tutorial table which features as a portal on the Tutor table.

It has 'Course Name'

'Course Type'

'Maximum Students'

'Enrolled Students' (ValueCount ( FilterValues ( List ( Enrolled Courses::Course Status ); "On Programme" ) and Case ( Enrolled Courses::Course Name; Course Name )and Case ( Enrolled Courses::Course Type; Course Type ) )

'Student Spaces' (=Maximum Students-Enrolled Students))

'Tutor Name'

'Tutor Record Number'

The Course Tutorial works well to show how many spaces are left on courses with a particular tutor.

I tried using an 'Available Tutor' field on the Course Tutorial table to find tutors who were active and had spaces. (If(Enrolled Students>0 and Tutors::Active Tutor = "Yes"; Tutor Name; "") This field works but it is not possible to index the field.

I have got myself confused as to what I need to do to get only the relevant tutors appearing as a drop down list when enrolling a student.

Any help would be appreciated.

Outcomes