11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2009 2:56 PM by ACOPcharity

Trouble with View Address Labels button on "Contact Management" Template

ACOPcharity

Title

Trouble with View Address Labels button on "Contact Management" Template

Hello Everyone,

I have built our databse based on the "Contact Management" template and the "view Adress Labels" button was working fine at the beginning, now when I click on it and it takesd me to avery 5160 layout view, all the names come up as ? and no longer as names......???? What do you guys think might be the problem? I tried everything I could think of such as changing the script, looking into the databse line for k_ID_Contacthowever I ama beginner and I am not sure to spot anything... any thought?

• 1. Re: Trouble with View Address Labels button on "Contact Management" Template
          philmodjunk

I can tell what the ? usually means in this situation and that might give you a clue.

a ? is usually filemaker's way of saying "I can't correctly display the contents of this field". In numeric calculation fields, this can be caused by a divide by zero situation. In all fields, it can happen when the contents of the field are "wider" than the field can display.

Thus, you should check your layout for problems--that might be where something has changed.

• 2. Re: Trouble with View Address Labels button on "Contact Management" Template
            ACOPcharity

thank you for your prompt reply!

I see how it is syaing it does not recognize the field content, I just don;t know why???? if as you said I have to check the layout for problems, what would be the best way to do that?

I tried fixing the script, such as the contemnt it is extracting from the databse into the label view and it seems the command is to extract from "Contact_Self::K_ID_Contact" and I think I may have done something to make the script not recopgnize that field anymore I just have no idea what that would be????

• 3. Re: Trouble with View Address Labels button on "Contact Management" Template
              philmodjunk

To check your layout, select your labels layout, enter layout mode and inspect your layout for problems.

Make a back copy of your database first.

Enter layout mode, click the field that shows question marks and drag the little black box "handles" to the side to make the field wider. Return to browse mode and see if anything changed. A lot of labels layouts use something called a "merge" field. Which will show text enclosed in <<>> when you are in layout mode. You can try selecting and resizing this entire block of text to see what happens.

If you don't find anything wrong and want to return your layout to normal, you can discard this copy and go back to the back up copy I suggested as step 1.

THe other possibility is your script. While your script can't change the layout, it might be putting the wrong value in the wrong field and this "wrong value" may be causing your question mark.

Can you post your script here for us to look at?

• 4. Re: Trouble with View Address Labels button on "Contact Management" Template
                ACOPcharity

Hi,

the script commands window doesn't allow me to copy all the lines of cpmmand???? is there a way id on;t know how to do it??? I am using v 10...

by the way, I think something is wrong with the line IF[Contact_Self::k_ID_Contact], since beacuse when I put the box for k_ID_Contact on view mode instead of showing the first and last name of the fields "Name_First" and "Name_Last" it is showing a number 3???? I think that is why the label layout shows ? as it is instructed to since it does not want to recognize a number???? so so you guys think the problem is with the field k_ID_Contact ??? 

• 5. Re: Trouble with View Address Labels button on "Contact Management" Template
                  philmodjunk

If you bring up the manage scripts dialog, you'll see that there's a print button. IF you "print" a script as a PDF, you can then copy the text from the PDF to paste here. If you use FMP advanced, you can generate a database design report and paste from it. Last option: you can simply type in the script steps by hand.

k_ID_Contact is a number field that is being used in a relationship.

If [contact_self::k_ID_Contact] is a way of saying "if the field is not zero, do the following steps".

It's impossible to tell if this is correct or not without seeing the complete script.

• 6. Re: Trouble with View Address Labels button on "Contact Management" Template
                    ACOPcharity

I will try to ciopy the script now... however this is what just happened....since i am just designing the databse i only had trhee sample records and I went into the name field and saw that there was a space after the last letter on the name and so once ui deleted that space the label view recognized the entry and showed the name instaed of the ?... then for the ones that did not have the space i just reenetered their name and they appeared as well???? not sure whay??? however now the problem is that from one record i can opress the view labels button and it works fine and then on the next record i do the same and it says "no matching records found"???? does that make sense to you????

• 7. Re: Trouble with View Address Labels button on "Contact Management" Template
                      ACOPcharity

here is teh cript i am typing manually

- allow user abort [off]

- perform script ["set window values"

- if[contact_self::k_ID_Contact]

- go to realted records [show only related records, match found set; from table" "contact_self"; using layout:"Avery 5160"(contact management)]

- sort records [restore; no dialog]

- view as [view as list]

- pause/resume script [indefinetely]

- perform script ["go to previous layout"]

- else

- show custom dialog ["Missing Data"; "No matching records were found."]

- end if

• 8. Re: Trouble with View Address Labels button on "Contact Management" Template
                        philmodjunk

"I went into the name field and saw that there was a space after the last letter on the name and so once I deleted that space the label view recognized the entry and showed the name instaed of the ?... "

Deleting that character made the name one letter shorter and this probably enabled it to fit in the space set up for it in the labels layout. This would eliminate the ? you were seeing as you have described.

I'm not familiar with the template you are using. I really don't know enough about your particular database to be able to say much more than I already have unless you can describe things more completely here in these posts.

• 9. Re: Trouble with View Address Labels button on "Contact Management" Template
                          philmodjunk

We were posting simultaneously, I did not see the latest until after I posted mine.

"on the next record i do the same and it says "no matching records found"???? does that make sense to you????"

What I can tell is that the field contact_self::k_ID_Contact must have been empty in that case.

"Contact_Self" is a table occurrence that you should be able to find in Manage | Database | relationships. If you look there you may learn more about how your database is designed.

On the layout where you clicked a button and got this result, did you see any field that shows a "contact ID number"? If it was blank, that would explain things. As to WHY it was blank, can't tell from here.

• 10. Re: Trouble with View Address Labels button on "Contact Management" Template
                            ACOPcharity
                               Thank you very much for all your help,... in the time i was gone i created a button with the command to "go to layout" with an icon from the grpahix pack to go to label view and erased the link that came with the template and it seems to be working fine now.... crossing mny fingers... thank you very  much for your help!!! I appreciate it!!!
                            • 11. Re: Trouble with View Address Labels button on "Contact Management" Template
                              ACOPcharity
                                 thankls for the last info... I will keep that in mind to look into on monday as i am leaving in a few minutes! T.G.I.F.!!! also, i know i will have many questions on relationships and so i will probably be posting questions on momday as well.... thanks again and have a great weekend!!!