Thanks for the suggestion. I cleared all tab orders from the layout (again) so that there are no numbers in the arrows. This partictular layout is still mis-behaving. The others work fine, also with no tab order specified. Any other nooks/crannies to look in?
I had this happen to me once with FMP 10 adv on windows XP.
I used the script debugger to watch the script execute step by step. Everything in the script was correct and the cursor still didn't go to the correct field. I eventually concluded that my layout was corrupted and rebuilt the layout. It then worked.
I'd watch your script do its thing with the debugger enabled. If you don't spot any problems, then consider a rebuild of the problem layout.
I will probably never know what went wrong, but I feel better knowing that someone else had a similar experience. Thanks, Phil.
It took less than 20 minutes to duplicate a working layout and modify it; I probably spent several hours trying to figure out what I did different with the one that was mis-behaving. I too had used the script debugger; it's a wonderful tool. But it didn't reveal the problem this time.