14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 1:32 PM by tuca

Troubleshooting Preview mode

tuca

Title

Troubleshooting Preview mode

Hi,

I am a scientist new to FMP, though with some experience in DB design. I am using FMP 8.0v2 in Mac OS 10.5. I have created a database with 7 tables, some of them have few records (such as study regions), others have hundreds of entries (such as specimens and observations), with various levels of details; the most complete table has 20 fields, but 4 of them are drawn from another table. All relationships seem to be working fine and the data/design can be viewed without problems on Browse, Find and Layout modes. However, only the first table can be viewed in Preview Mode. All the others appear as a blank page. How can solve that? I am concerned that later I might have troubles in printing reports or that part of the data might be missing. I tried all options in Layout Setup, but the problem persists. Which is (or are) my mistake(s)?

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Troubleshooting Preview mode
          mrvodka
             First I would definitely upgrade to 8.0v3. Second, could you post the exact tables, layouts, etc that you are having an issues with? Abstract names are hard to follow.
          • 2. Re: Troubleshooting Preview mode
            LaRetta_1

"... viewed without problems on Browse, Find and Layout modes. However, only the first table can be viewed in Preview Mode. All the others appear as a blank page."

Another possibility, and a common reason for 'blank page syndrome', is that you are creating reports with leading parts and sub-summaries.  And maybe your "first table" displays fine because it has no sub-summaries.   These types of reports MUST be sorted by the field specified in your leading part.  So if you have two leading parts, the first is Year and the second is Type, then you must also sort your report first by Year and then by Type.

Store this sort within your script right before your Enter Preview Mode script step.

• 3. Re: Troubleshooting Preview mode
              tuca

Hi,

Sorry, I could not insert the images. I tried to do another test with much simpler tables and the same problem happens. First table appears in the preview, but not the second one.

These were the 2 test tables:

Table 1: REGIONS

fields: Region ID; Region Name; Country

Table 2: Trial1

fields: Specimen ID; Name; Address; City; Region; Country; Nationality; Age; Sex; Profession

Relationships: Region; Country

Shouldn't the preview mode be created automatically? Could it be a problem with my FMP version? The strange thing is that a colleague used the same (all the copies in the lab are the FMP 8.0v2) and she didn't face these issues...

Thanks for the help!

• 4. Re: Troubleshooting Preview mode
                tuca

Hi,

No, I'm not creating a report and the tables don't have sub-summaries. Would you happen to know any other reason for this 'blank page syndrome'?

Thanks! 

• 5. Re: Troubleshooting Preview mode
                  philmodjunk
                     What do you get when you print the report? Preview is supposed to be a prediction of what you get when you print. If your hard copy matches your preview, then it may be that your printer and/or layout settings may need to be changed.
                  • 6. Re: Troubleshooting Preview mode
                    tuca

Hi,

the 'print' is also in blank. I tried to change options in the layout setup and print preferences, but did'nt have any success. Would you have any suggestions? 

Thanks! 

• 7. Re: Troubleshooting Preview mode
                      philmodjunk

tuca wrote:

Would you have any suggestions? 

It's hard to say without being able to examine the actual file/layout in question. What I was referring to was to check and see if any margin (a layout setting), page size or orientation (printer setup) options might be affecting how the layout prints/previews.

Do you have any conditional formats set on the objects that do not appear in preview?

Any chance you set the "do not print" option for these objects in Format | set sliding...?

• 8. Re: Troubleshooting Preview mode
                        tuca

I understand. The trouble is that as it doesn't print, I couldn't obtain a picture.

Anyway... The answer to all the questions is: no. Borders are ok; even tiny tables with only 3 fields won't print. I tried all possibilities in printer setup, layout setup, page setup, but the problem persists. Besides, the option you mentioned "Format | set sliding" is not available at all. It's not active for any table. Do you think this might be the reason?

• 9. Re: Troubleshooting Preview mode
                          philmodjunk

Format | Set Sliding is a layout option. Enter layout mode, select an object by clicking it and choose Set Sliding... from the format menu. (The format menu is not visible until you enter layout mode.) Now you'll see a check box at the bottom labeled "Do not print..."

• 10. Re: Troubleshooting Preview mode
                            tuca
                               Thanks for the tip. However, it's all the same. "Do not print" was unchecked. Any other idea???
                            • 11. Re: Troubleshooting Preview mode
                              philmodjunk
                                 I didn't really expect the answer to be that easy, but now we know for sure. I can't think of anything else to check short of actually getting a copy of the file from you and examining it.
                              • 12. Re: Troubleshooting Preview mode
                                tuca

At this point, I believe the best might be to persuade my boss to by an update to FMP 10. I hope that will do the job... Thanks anyway for all the help!

Cheers!

:-)

• 13. Re: Troubleshooting Preview mode
                                  philmodjunk
                                     You can download a free trial copy of FMP 10 and test your file to see if that solves the issue. (No need to argue with you boss until you know the upgrade will solve the problem or not.) I suspect it won't fix this particular issue.
                                  • 14. Re: Troubleshooting Preview mode
                                    tuca

Thanks a lot! I'll do that.

Cheers!