3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2013 7:15 PM by vfoecke

True Text Transparency and missing Pattern Palette?

doronkipper

Title

True Text Transparency and missing Pattern Palette?

I'm trying to set text on my layout to be truly transparent, so that it only appears on a graphic when a condition is met (conditionally formatting the text to turn black when a field is empty)

But whenever I set the text to transparent (I assume that is what the white box with the red line through it is in the color setting under "text" in the inspector), it still shows up as white.  When I go back to layout mode, my transparent setting has reverted to "white".  

I looked through the forums for a solution, and I've seen a couple of mentions of a Patterns Palatte that lets you choose true transparency, but I cannot find it.  Is this palette present in Filemaker Pro 12?

Transparent.png

• 1. Re: True Text Transparency and missing Pattern Palette?
          schamblee

The square with the red slash does not set transparency.  You can change the color of the text to match the color of the background, which make the texts appear invisible.

• 2. Re: True Text Transparency and missing Pattern Palette?
            doronkipper

Unless the background is not a solid color....

Thanks though, I think I figured out how to make the text disappear by changing the size to 500 points when a condition is met....it doesn't fit in the field, and disappears.

• 3. Re: True Text Transparency and missing Pattern Palette?
              vfoecke

What does the white square with the red slash do if it is not intended to set transparency?  That is what it does when used to specify the fill of a field.

I'm facing essentially the same problem, but I am trying to make a text label (not a field) disappear when certain conditions are met.

Furthermore, the text is positioned in a portal which is set to have the alternating rows shaded in light gray.

If I set the conditional formatting on the text to white (or "transparent", since they appear to do the same thing), it disappears properly in the white portal rows, but is still visible in white in the gray portal rows.

Personally, I feel that this is a bug.