7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2012 11:37 AM by jrobgk1

Truly Bizarre Record Behavior

jrobgk1

Title

Truly Bizarre Record Behavior

Hello-

I have a table of Venues we use to plug in to a table "events".  We have noticed in the past couple of days that some of the Venue field of "Venue::Name" has multiple entries of the same name in the field.  For example, instead of reading "Magruders", the field says, "Magruders Magruders Magruders Magruders Magruders Magruders Magruders".  

while there is a dropdown list in the event record to select a venue, it only refers to the Venue::ID, not the name.  

How the hell is this happening?  it's not with EVERY venue, but enough of them are having multiple names in the field that i am super suspicious of something else going on...

any thoughts out there?

Jesse

FM Pro11.0.3, data is on hosted FM Server

bbscreenshot.jpg

• 1. Re: Truly Bizarre Record Behavior
          philmodjunk

Are the duplicate values appearing as values in the field itself or the drop down value list?

If I am interpreting the screen shot, the text field is storing multiple values separated by returns.

while there is a dropdown list in the event record to select a venue, it only refers to the Venue::ID, not the name

Typically, that means that your field shown here is a text field in the Venue table and displayed here via a relationship. You'll need to investigate all processes, (Scripts, user actions, auto-enter calculations...) that modify this field to find the one responsible.

Do you have any Scripts that paste or insert text into this field?

• 2. Re: Truly Bizarre Record Behavior
            jrobgk1

Phil-
            There are no scripts that paste in here.  it is strictly meant to be a table that supervisors enter info into once, then use dropdowns/value lists in the event entry table to add venues to events.

i will look at the scripts and value lists...see what's there.

Jesse 

• 3. Re: Truly Bizarre Record Behavior
              philmodjunk

From here, I can only point out the obvious--it didn't happen on it's own. Something produced a list of values in the field instead of a single value.

• 4. Re: Truly Bizarre Record Behavior
                jrobgk1

yeah...and getting my wife's head around the fact that FM Pro doesn't "make stuff up" is a hard thing to do.  looks like i have my work cut out for me this weekend...

a thought.  would a self joined relationship do this? what about another instance of the table related to another table in the DB?

grasping at straws...

• 5. Re: Truly Bizarre Record Behavior
                  philmodjunk

Not by itself. One function to look for is the List function as it can easily produce a list of values, so any script step that uses an expression with List to modify your field would be a prime suspect.

An Insert step could also be the culprit as it can append data to that already present.

You may need to correct the data by deleting the extra values, then monitor closely to try to identify what actions took place just before the multiple values appear in a field.

Replace Field contents with this expression:

Get value ( Venue::VenueNameField ; 1 )

might be one way to do a quick "batch clean up" of your data.

• 6. Re: Truly Bizarre Record Behavior
                    jrobgk1

Thanks Phil-

I get an error with get value...is there another calculation there? 

JR

• 7. Re: Truly Bizarre Record Behavior
                      jrobgk1

nevermind...sorted it out.  looked in wrong dropdown area of scripts. thanks...worked a charm.