9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2013 4:52 AM by JimMac

Trying Send Mail via a mail client. What's supposed to happen? Nothing does. (FM Pro 10 Advanced)

douglerner_1

Title

Trying Send Mail via a mail client. What's supposed to happen? Nothing does. (FM Pro 10 Advanced)

I am testing the Send Mail feature. I've selected to send mail via my email client. I've addressed the To field from the current tables email address field, set a subject and a simple message.

But when I press OK,  FM just beachballs.

I am able to quit via the dock after sometime and restart FM. But nothing happens when I try to send mail.

Is my mail client (Apple Mail) supposed to open up with composed mails for me to send?

Thanks,

doug

• 1. Re: Trying Send Mail via a mail client. What's supposed to happen? Nothing does. (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
          JimMac

Doug, I know you would like to think FMP has an internal error, but I have not run into the repeated "multicolor wheel" MacOS delay.  I suggest holding down Command+Option+Escape... to see the offending delayers.  You can leave that "Force Quit" window open all the time and see what is happening.

Your FMP file may be damaged too.  In FMP under menu File | Recover...   try and recover the possible damaged file.

Earlier post  you said you had no External files or Network activity.  Apple Mail is an external file.  A printer is an external device.  EMail is normally sent over the internet.

All a Restart does in stop the delaying task that caused the delay cursor.

Jim...

• 2. Re: Trying Send Mail via a mail client. What's supposed to happen? Nothing does. (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
            douglerner_1

I meant that FMP was not making use of external files or external devices or network activity. Every single one of my other applications were running normally at the time.

Thanks,

doug

• 3. Re: Trying Send Mail via a mail client. What's supposed to happen? Nothing does. (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
              davidanders

If you download the FMP 11 Trial or the FMP 12 Trial, you can open your database and test for the response problem you are seeing with FMPA 10 and your database.

You could also open one of the templates in either of the trials and possibly narrow the source of your hesitations.

In OSX, starting with Shift key down, opens in safe mode and performs some housekeeping.   Onyx or YASU are maintenance options, also.

• 4. Re: Trying Send Mail via a mail client. What's supposed to happen? Nothing does. (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
                douglerner_1

It only happened the one time though. All day today it's been fine.

Thanks,

doug

• 5. Re: Trying Send Mail via a mail client. What's supposed to happen? Nothing does. (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
                  JimMac

Doug, did you try and Recover... the offending FMP file?  The MacOS sends the "delay cursor"  when the offending application(s) do not respond to MacOS after a few trys and long time delays.  The "Force Quit Application" window from MacOS is obtained by Command+Otption+Escape keys.

FMP can be "silent" to MacOS when....

1) Damaged File(s)

2) Infinite loops in scripts

3) Requests to MacOS from FMP are that unanswered by MacOS... like external (anything outside of FMP control) devices.  A mouse is an external device!

To get to a eMail client from within FMP... it sends a request to MacOS and waits for MacOS to "open the eMail client" and return a "open" and ready signal back to FMP.  

All we are trying to point out are possiblities in the required in the MacOS <==> FMP communication loop.

By the way, if the time delay ends, FMP<==> MacOS will resume normal operations.

Jim...

• 6. Re: Trying Send Mail via a mail client. What's supposed to happen? Nothing does. (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
                    douglerner_1

I don't believe I have a damaged file. And I have no scripts so no infinite loops. Also, I am able to send email via the SMTP option, just not via the Email Client option. And I am able to quit FMP without resorting to the force-quit. I can quit from the dock quit option.

It's just that when I try to send email via the Mail client option nothing happens except beachballing. So there is some communication problem, I guess, between FMP and Mac OS as far as opening the client goes.

Yesterday I desperately needed to get some mails out so I resorted to:

(1) Exporting the FMP records to a .csv file.

(2) Importing the file using the Word merge tool.

(3) Creating the mails I needed.

(4) Copy/pasting them one by one from Word into BBEdit to remove formatting because pasting from Word to Mail directly added extra line spacing.

(5) Copy/pasting them one by one from BBedit to Mail, addressing them and sending.

But I do need to find a better way.

Thanks,

doug

• 7. Re: Trying Send Mail via a mail client. What's supposed to happen? Nothing does. (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
                      JimMac

Sorry Doug, I am lost.  If you can send using FMP and SMTP, why not do it?

I have a few silly questions....

1) I assume you have used Apple Mail on the computer you are using, before.  Did you double check the Apple Mail .. Preference.. General tab... Top setting to verify that Apple Mail is your eMail Client?

2) Did you open FMP go to the File menu at top menu bar, drop down to Recover...  select the offending FMP file that is giving you the delays and attempt to do a FMP Recover?

3) Did you open the "Force Quit Window" to verify it  was FMP and NOT Apple Mail that was the offender?

JIm...

• 8. Re: Trying Send Mail via a mail client. What's supposed to happen? Nothing does. (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
                        douglerner_1

Hi, Jim. I am reading "FileMaker Pro 10 The Missing Manual." They say an advantage of doing it via your mail client is that you can preview them and tweak them as they are getting sent. They also mention they will appear in your outgoing mail, but that would happen via SMTP anyway because I use IMAP

What I didn't like about the way it worked using SMTP is that there is no sending progress indicated, so I was left sort of hanging there wondering, "Huh? Did they all go out ok?"

Of course I'm still left with the overall problem of how to best compose nice looking messages and preview them, etc.

Here are the answers to your "silly" questions. :)

1) I have been using Apple Mail for years, yes. And yes, Apple Mail is my default mail client. Actually the setting there says "mail reader" but Apple Mail always opens up if I click on a mailto: link anywhere.

2) With regards to this one I wonder why you mention "offending FMP file" and "giving delays." I haven't had any problems with delays except one time a few days ago when it got slow. When I restarted FMP it went away. The problem with sending Mail via the client is just that nothing happens. I tell you what I'll do. I'll create a brand new test FMP file and try to send mail via my client and report back what happens.

3) I did not open the Force Quit Window. But I did go into Apple Mail during that time and it was not "not responding" - it was working fine.

I'll report back on my new test in 2).

Thanks,

doug

• 9. Re: Trying Send Mail via a mail client. What's supposed to happen? Nothing does. (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
                          JimMac

With your response to 2), it sounds like it was NOT associated with FMP then.yes

You have gotten my curosity up on eMails.  Although I have learned the Apple Mail is a very broad reaching eMail client, I do company presentations using a more graphics/word processing program [Word, Pages, Key Note, Power Point  etc.] and find that PDF files are almost always universally accepted now.

Thus the eMail message is the Memo and a single page PDF file is the "Presentation".  I was able to do that with FMP using a Layout and mail merge, create a pdf file from that layout and attach it to the eMail.  It looks great.  You make a pdf file for each eMail if it is "merged and personal" send the bulk emails and then deleted the pdf's later if not needed.

Thanks for pushing that a bitcool.

I tried to insert the eMail message with a .txt file and it worked for just the "text only".  You need Rich Text  Format or Webarchive to do what most advertisers do in eMail junk.  No joy, with FMP and the Rich Text Format.

Also you can get the Delay cursor, caused by Apple Mail [at that moment] and Apple Mail still work.wink

Jim...

PS: I just copied the contents of this post since there have been issues with Mac using it, and got the Delay curor for a moment.laugh