2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2009 8:10 AM by robomacman

Trying to Build Inventory for Tracking and Ordering

robomacman

Title

Trying to Build Inventory for Tracking and Ordering

I am trying to create a database that will allow me to do the following three things:  1.  List ITEMS that I can 2INVENTORY 3and prepare an ORDER report.

The ITEM TABLE is pretty straightforward. It has 150-200 items. 

The ORDER TABLE has Order ID, Order Date, To Order, Amount (Item::Price * To Order) and Total (Summary Field:  Amount) 

How to I create a trackable Weekly Inventory and Generate Weekly Orders based on the numbers generated from the ITEM worksheet without having to select each item individually?  I really don't want to enter each item on the Inventory Table just to do this.

• 1. Re: Trying to Build Inventory for Tracking and Ordering
          obeechi

What do you want to put in your inventory table? Is this where you will have transactions recorded? Like, 10 came in, 8 came out? ... or ... 

Item has many transactions

Order has many transactions -- inventory is just a count

so the transactions table is a join table between Item and Order

Where do you want to work from when creating transactions?

Each transaction record is going to need a foreign key that echos the item ID from the item table, and

Each transaction record is going to need a foreign key that echos the order ID from the order table

I'm probably missing something here ...  

• 2. Re: Trying to Build Inventory for Tracking and Ordering
            robomacman

The Inventory basically tracks what we have on hand.  I will be able to calculate usage within a time frame.

I have the three tables

ORDER   Order ID

ITEM      Item ID  with On Hand and To Order fields 

JOIN      Order ID, Item ID, Inventory ID and Inventory Date

Since I absolutely do not want to recreate the entire items list each time, I used a portal to link the Item List with a cartesian sign "X".   Consequently, when I enter something for either the On Hand field or To Order - it changes the information in the other record as well. which of course, I don't want.

I was able to create a portal on the ITEM TABLE to view previous inventory counts, but of course, this won't work correctly until the Join Table works correctly.

Where do I go from here?