5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2011 10:49 AM by philmodjunk

Trying to Create dropwdownlist from my contact Management

JoeBozzo

Title

Trying to Create dropwdownlist from my contact Management

I have just finished inputting my inventory, Contact Management and am now on the purchase order Database. I have used the starter Solution for all three. I would like to create a drop down menu in the "Bill To" which will retrieve the names of my clients companies. Once I select the Company name I would like the Purchase order to auto-fill the rest of the information (address, street, city).

How do I create this relationship?

• 1. Re: Trying to Create dropwdownlist from my contact Management
          philmodjunk

I would like to create a drop down menu in the "Bill To" which will retrieve the names of my clients companies.

But where did you enter that data? In the Contact Management File or in the customers table of invoices? Since these two starter solutions have separate tables for storing the same info, avoiding duplication here, would require linking the two files so that both use the same table. That's not a simple operation to do here.

• 2. Re: Trying to Create dropwdownlist from my contact Management
            JoeBozzo

So what do you recommend? I create the contacts in the purchase order?

• 3. Re: Trying to Create dropwdownlist from my contact Management
              philmodjunk

I can't really say. Ideally, you'd use one table for contacts in contact management and customers in invoices, but that may require a skill set you do not have as it would require a significant redesign of the tables and relationships in these two files.

Open  Manage | Database | Relationships on Invoices and also on Contact Management. The "boxes" on this graph are called table occurrences and they "point" to different tables defined in the tables tabs of Database | Management  in their respective files. It's possible to point one of these two table occurrences to the corresponding table in the other file so that contact info need only be entered in the one file, but the precise fields and their defintions are not identical. The change would also require reviewing all scripts and layouts of the file where you made the change to make sure that the needed fields exist and that the correct ones are referenced. 

If you just keep the tables as designed, such a drop down already exists, it's just based on client name rather than company and selecting by company name is probably a fairly small change to the design of your file.

• 4. Re: Trying to Create dropwdownlist from my contact Management
                JoeBozzo

I am a very quick learner and highly skilled in other technical fields. Its my first time dealing with databases but i'm sure i can pickup very quickly. Can you point me in right direction for tutuorial or post on this?

• 5. Re: Trying to Create dropwdownlist from my contact Management
                  philmodjunk

Not really. There are many options, but I have too little first hand knowledge of any of them to make a recommendation. The skills you already have and your personall preferences will determine which option works best for you.

You can check out the training link at the top of this screen. There are books on FileMaker that you can research on sites such as Amazon. There are videos you can search out on You Tube...