1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2010 12:00 PM by Starmonger

Trying to do something, need help...

Starmonger

Title

Trying to do something, need help...

Hello. I've made a drop down box where I can select different percentages. The percentages represent Ebay's level of discount for Powersellers. I want it so that when i select a different percent from the drop down box, it will then change the calculation in another field (profit field). So bascily i want it so that the contents of one field determine the calculation in another. Anyone know how I could achieve this?

PS. I must admit i'm a bit of a noob.

• 1. Re: Trying to do something, need help...
          voina

I believe you will have to make the profit field a calculation that utilizes the value in your percentage field, i.e.,

profit = percentage * price

Have you tried something like that?

Verna

• 2. Re: Trying to do something, need help...
            Starmonger

Hmmm. Interesting idea, the trouble is that the calculation is really complex in the profit field: If(Sale Price>0; Sale Price - ((3.4 * Sale Price / 100+ .2) + If(Sale Price<49.99; 9.9 * Sale Price / 100 + .2 + Cost + VATSum;5.9 * Sale Price / 100 + .2 + Cost + VATSum + 4.95)); 0)

so the bit i want to affect is the 9.9, and the 5.9, as those are the final value fees percentages. Tricky

I'm not that good at maths tbh.

• 3. Re: Trying to do something, need help...
              voina

I don't think it matters how complicated the calculation is that comes up with the percentage. Your profit calculation should just work with the result.

Have you tried it?

Best of luck,

V.

• 4. Re: Trying to do something, need help...
                raybaudi

Starmonger wrote:

I'm not that good at maths tbh.

Hi

Your calculation for profit takes NOW  in account the cost, the Vat, a fixed percentage ( 3.4% ) of the Sale price, a variable percentage ( 9.9 % or 5.9% ) of the Sale price based on the Sale price.

But there are some fixed values that I do not undertsand: .2 and 4.95

Also this calculation is corrently correct for which level of discount ?

• 5. Re: Trying to do something, need help...
                  Starmonger

Voina: It sounds like it should work, but I'm not quite sure how to implement it. I'm not that good at maths. But it does sound like it should work, I just don't know whereabouts and how I should change the Sum yet. If you have any ideas? 

The .2 is ebays listings cost of 20p to list the item. A fixed fee. The 4.95 is just a way to simplify the sum when the item sells for more than 49.99, because the ebay final value price fee get's lowered from 9.9 to 5.9 when the item sells for more than 49.99. So the first 49.99 is still done at 9.9 and then any after that at 5.9 hence the 4.95 being 9.9% of 49.99.

This calculation is correct for 0% discount.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Trying to do something, need help...
                    raybaudi

"The .2 is ebays listings cost of 20p to list the item. A fixed fee."

If it is a fixed fee, why do you charge the profit two times ?

BTW: Is this calculation correct for the Ebay Fee ?

3.4 * Sale Price / 100 + .2 + 
                    If ( 
                    Sale Price < 49.99 ; 9.9 * Sale Price / 100 + .2 ; 
                                         5.9 * Sale Price / 100 + .2 + 4.95 
                    )

• 7. Re: Trying to do something, need help...
                      voina

Forgive me.  I'm having fun with this. 
                      I'M NO EXPERT, BUT…
                      If I'm understanding what you're trying to do… I think that rather than 3.4* Sale Price /100 + .2:
                      I would say:  (3.4 * Sale Price)*.8  
                      Seems to me you may be taking the long way to get to an 80% figure.  (100% - 20% when you can just say 80%).
                      Also I would be careful to use parentheses to tell the calculation which functions to perform first.  
                      I've had some pretty long, complicated calculations in my day.  Just keep at it until you get the result you want.  Then you can name that field in the calculation for your profit field.

Also I would be careful to use parentheses to tell the calculation which functions to perform first.  
                      I've had some pretty long, complicated calculations in my day.  Just keep at it until you get the result you want.  Then you can name that field in the calculation for your profit field.

Also, make sure you understand the difference between IF functions and CASE functions.  You may want to use CASE rather than IF for this calculation.

V.

• 8. Re: Trying to do something, need help...
                        Starmonger

I think the original calculation is correct, i'm pretty sure it is because at the time i verified it with a calculator (unless I did it wrong aswell with the calc which is possible).

Anyway, I think i've come up with the solution:

If(Sale Price>0; Sale Price - ((3.4 * Sale Price / 100+ .2) + If(Sale Price<49.99; ((9.9 - (((9.9 * Ebay Discount Level / 100))))) * Sale Price / 100 + .2 + Cost + VATSum; ((5.9 - (((5.9 * Ebay Discount Level / 100)))))* Sale Price / 100 + .2 + Cost + VATSum + 4.95)); 0)

If that's it, thanks all for you help!

• 9. Re: Trying to do something, need help...
                          Starmonger

Hmm. Yes I must admit that it's all beyond my understanding really. I just somehow managed to piece things together as I went along. ( I think I got an 'E' for my GCSE ((English School Math Test ((('E' not being very good))))

• 10. Re: Trying to do something, need help...
                            Starmonger

By the way, the 3.4 is the paypal fee. I forgot to mention that. Because they take 3.4% of the final selling price

• 11. Re: Trying to do something, need help...
                              raybaudi

voina wrote:

I think that rather than 3.4* Sale Price /100 + .2:

I would say:  (3.4 * Sale Price)*.8

Where is the logic ?

Try to read it in this way: .2 + 3.4* Sale Price /100

• 12. Re: Trying to do something, need help...
                                raybaudi

Starmonger wrote:

By the way, the 3.4 is the paypal fee. I forgot to mention that. Because they take 3.4% of the final selling price

So even PayPal fee is charged by the .2 listings cost ?

BTW: your calculation need some repairs even if it works correctly. Are you still on FMP 6 ?

• 13. Re: Trying to do something, need help...
                                  Starmonger

I think i'm on FMP 10. I think, though i'll have to check again, that coincidently the paypal fee also includes 20p ontop of the 3.4%, for each transaction.

• 14. Re: Trying to do something, need help...
                                    raybaudi

Try this one:

Let([
                                    PayPal Fee = .2 + 3.4 * Sale Price / 100 ;
                                    Ebay Part = If ( Sale Price < 49.99 ; 9.9 * Sale Price / 100 ; 5.9 * Sale Price / 100 + 4.95 ) ;
                                    Ebay Fee = .2 + Ebay Part * ( 1 - Ebay Discount Level / 100 )
                                    ];
                                    Sale Price - PayPal Fee - Ebay fee - cost - VATSum
                                    )

1 2 Previous Next