9 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2012 8:54 AM by GuyStevens

Trying to figure out a way to use user input value for amount of records to search for

JamesQueflander

Title

Trying to figure out a way to use user input value for amount of records to search for

I'm working on building a database at work where we have our inventory in a filemaker database, and when we pull items out of stock, we would like to have it set up where we enter how many bundles of steel we are searching for.  I have a base-line script that just goes to find mode, with 30 Add/new record requests, and the layout just has the item# field display for entering a search, then having to control-down to the next line for the next search data.  Can someone please help me come up with a simpler solution, where I could use perhaps a user prompt window, then take the value from that, then basically do like a for-next loop or something like that, where it prompts for the search data, hit enter, then it asks for the next search data, until the amount of searches specified is met, then perform the find and display the results?  Basically, what I am trying to accomplish is entering a picklist, comparing it to the inventory to verify that those items are in inventory, and then it pulls all the matching records up into our printout layout.  I'm the only one in the building with ANY filemaker experience, and haven't scripted in many years.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jim