1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 4, 2013 8:46 AM by philmodjunk

Trying to get a summary of payroll info for each employee

DanielleTrapkus

Title

Trying to get a summary of payroll info for each employee

Hello -- I'm new to Filemaker and I'm trying to build a payroll database.  I created a paystub table that shows all deductions from current pay period, but I would also like to include year to date deductions so the employee knows how much they've made for the entire year (gross wages) or how much federal withholding has been taken out for the year, etc.  I think I use a summary function, but when I tried to set that up, it totaled all employees information together -- not each employees information separately.  Can anyone help to figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Trying to get a summary of payroll info for each employee
          philmodjunk

Hello -- I'm new to Filemaker and I'm trying to build a payroll database.

If you aren't an accountant, you may want to consult one familiar with payroll and your location's tax laws to make sure that your final design doesn't create problems for you.

To get your totals, you need a relationship that matches to the payroll records for a specific employee and for a specific year:

Employees----<Payroll

Employees::__pkEmployeeID = Payroll::_fkEmployeeID AND
               Employees::cThisYear = Payroll::cYear

cThisYear would be an unstored calculation field with Number specified as the return type: Year ( Get ( CurrentDate ) )
               cYear would be similar: Year ( PayrollDate )

Then a calculation field defined in Employees: Sum ( Payroll::Field ) will compute the YTD total or you can refer to a summary field defined in Payroll.

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained