13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2012 2:10 PM by Sorbsbuster

Trying to get back to data entry

LyndaKemp

Title

Trying to get back to data entry

I successfully created a report and now seem to be stuck in the report settings.  When I open the program it goes to the last report I had on the screen.  I want to return to the form I have designed for entering data.  I have tried using the Help but can not follow it through the instructions.  I am in Browse Mode. Can anyone tell me the route back to my data entry form?

• 1. Re: Trying to get back to data entry
          philmodjunk

Each "form" is called a layout. There's a drop down in the top left corner of your screen, in the status area that you can use to select a different layout.

You can also pull down the File menu and select "File Options". There's an option there where you can specify what layout will appear the first time your file is opened.

You can also add buttons to your layouts that take you to a specific layout. These buttons can be given the "hide when printing" option in the "sliding and visibility section of the Inspector's position tab so that they don't appear on the printed copy but do appear in browse mode.

• 2. Re: Trying to get back to data entry
            LyndaKemp

Unfortunately this has not helped.  

The Layout drop down in the top left corner of my screen in the status area only gives one option - the layout (report) that is currently on the screen.

If I go to Scripts in the menu across the top of the screen I can choose one of the other layouts (reports) that I have created using the information in my data base.  Then the Layout drop down offers an alternative the new report or the last one.

If I go to the File menu and select "File Options" the Layouts that I can choose from are all reports (layouts) that I have created using the information in my data base.  I do not want any of them to appear when I open the file.

Somewhere in there is a fairly detailed, multi-page data entry form (layout?) that I use to enter the information that I then use to make the reports (layouts).

I am unable to find my way back to that.  I have more data to enter.  I have more fields to create.  I have more reports (layouts) to produce

• 3. Re: Trying to get back to data entry
              philmodjunk

The Layout drop down in the top left corner of my screen in the status area only gives one option - the layout (report) that is currently on the screen.

Try entering layout made and then see what layouts are listed. There's an option for each layout in layout setup that can keep a layout from appearing in this drop down when you are in browse mode.

I can choose one of the other layouts (reports) that I have created using the information in my data base.  Then the Layout drop down offers an alternative the new report or the last one.

This sounds like you have a solution that consists of more than one file. The script probably takes you to another file--where you then have the additional layouts appearing in the layout drop down. You might pull down the windows menu to see what other files you have open.

What version of FileMaker are you using?

This sounds like a design typical for FileMaker 6 or older. It may have been converted from an older copy or the developer may have simply chosen to use a multiple file approach for designing the database.

• 4. Re: Trying to get back to data entry
                LyndaKemp

Thanks for patiently trying to help.

In Layout Mode all the layouts (reports) that I have created are listed - the same layouts that were listed under Scripts.

I can create another layout that will include all the data in the database but of course it makes up a massive layout.

I pulled down the Windows menu and it only has one file - the one I am working with.

I am using Filemaker Pro 11 that I purchased about 5 months ago and downloaded to my computer.  

Although I do find the jargon and navigating in the program difficult I have not had this problem before.  In Filemaker jargon, I do not know what to call the form that I created for my data entry so do not know what to look for.  I have spent a fair amount of time using "Help" but so far no good results.

• 5. Re: Trying to get back to data entry
                  philmodjunk

Please note that scripts in the scripts menu and layouts in the layouts menu are two different things even though they may have the same name.

This last post is a big confusing when I compare it to your reponses earlier:

If I go to Scripts in the menu across the top of the screen I can choose one of the other layouts (reports) that I have created using the information in my data base.  Then the Layout drop down offers an alternative the new report or the last one.

I don't see how that is possible in a single file. Scripts cannot make layout entries in the Layouts drop down appear and disappear. That's why I suggested that you might have more than one file open. Either that or we are not talking about the same drop down. See screen shot for a pict of the layout drop down.

The form that you created is called a layout. It should be present in the layouts drop down when you are in layout mode. It should also be listed in the window that appears if you select manage | layouts. I still can't help wondering if you don't have more than one file here--There's a bug in fileMaker 11 that can keep an open file from appearing in the Windows menu so the fact that you can't find it in that menu doesn't guarantee that you don't have two files.

• 6. Re: Trying to get back to data entry
                    LyndaKemp

I certainly wish I could understand all this.  

The glossary says that a script is "One or more instructions (script steps) that you define to automate repetitive or difficult tasks. You manage scripts using the Manage Scripts feature."

I have no memory of creating a "script" but I did make a variety of "layout" reports.  I only know that the list of "scripts" is the same as the list of "layouts" and although I don't know what I did, the the list in the layout drop down where earlier it only had one or two layouts in the list now has them all.

But all this has nothing to do with my problem.  I need to get back to the data entry form.  All the data is still there and I can make more layouts out of it.  I just can't find my way back to that screen.

You say "The form that you created is called a layout. It should be present in the layouts drop down when you are in layout mode. It should also be listed in the window that appears if you select manage | layouts."  The form that I created is not in the layout drop down.  I don't remember ever naming it but I have opened them all and it is not there.

You say "I still can't help wondering if you don't have more than one file here--There's a bug in fileMaker 11 that can keep an open file from appearing in the Windows menu so the fact that you can't find it in that menu doesn't guarantee that you don't have two files."  Now that might be my problem - a layout that doesn't show up.  I wonder how I find it.

To the best of my knowledge I only have one file on one topic with 138 records and each record has about 100 fields.

It seems that I am going to have to start from the beginning and create a new database and re-enter everything.  I will have to make layouts from the old database in order to get the information to put into the new one.

Thanks again for trying to help.

• 7. Re: Trying to get back to data entry
                      symbister

Hi Lynda

I can understand your frustration - getting into the FM world can be a steep learningcurve...

what may have happened is that you've either intentionally or not, entered a different 'View' Mode - each Layout can be viewed as Table, List or Form...

and each View can be configured to have all, some or none of your data fields...

try selecting another View, either on the Status Area, or from 'View' on the main menu bar...

• 8. Re: Trying to get back to data entry
                        philmodjunk

symbister makes a very good suggestion.

In your last post youa are confusing "files" with "layouts". Files appear in the window menu. Layouts appear in the layouts menu. From your last post, I don't think your have two files here and thus a different view, such as table view, may be what is the issue here.

Does your 'data entry form' look a lot like a spreadsheet? If so, then I think symbister is on the right track here.

• 9. Re: Trying to get back to data entry
                          LyndaKemp

Good morning.  Now I have 2 people trying to help.  Thank you.

In my terminology I have one file and it contains all the data I have input and all the various layouts.

I understand that the view modes show the layout in different formats.  The layouts that I have created only have 3 or 4 columns, depending on the information/fields I was researching.

Maybe my Data Entry Form is a Layout but it does not look like a spreadsheet that I have ever seen.  It is a multi-page form with tabs to let me choose the page I want to work on.  In the design mode the fields can be made larger/smaller, can be highlighted, can be formulas, can be moved around the page to make it look nicer.  In the data entry mode the cursor will automatically move to the next field as data is being entered.  I can sort all the records by any of the fields and so on.

None of the Layouts is anything like my Data Entry Form in colour, appearance or data displayed.

• 10. Re: Trying to get back to data entry
                            philmodjunk

That would appear to rule out table view as a possible explanation.

Then I'm afraid there's not much more we can suggest. We can't go back in time and determine exactly what you did. We can only speculate based on what you describe and what we know is possible with FileMaker.

a) The layout was deleted

b) The layout was changed

c) You have more than one copy of your file. The layout exists, but in a different copy than the copy you currently have open. (Do a file search on your computer and see if you can find another copy of your database file.)

c) You had more than one copy of your file, the layout was in the other copy and the file has now been deleted.

Bottom line: if you are in layout mode and looking at the layouts listed in the layout drop down or are looking at the list of layouts in Manage | Layouts and don't see the layout, it's not in the file you have open. either it was deleted, changed or was never in the copy of your file that you currently have open.

• 11. Re: Trying to get back to data entry
                              LyndaKemp

It seems that I will have to start all over.  At least I still have the data which was hard fought for.  It will be a challenge as I re-design and re-enter the data base but it seems my only option and I assume I will learn more about the program along the way.

Thanks very much for trying to help.

• 12. Re: Trying to get back to data entry
                                philmodjunk

You don't have to start ALL over, just add a new layout to your database.

Before you do, do any of your layouts use sub summary parts?

If so, try changing the sort order with those layouts and see if your data entry screen re-appears with the new sort order. This is an extreme long shot, but costs nothing to try.

• 13. Re: Trying to get back to data entry
                                  Sorbsbuster

Try this:

Enter layout mode (Control + L)

Pull the slider that is just above the red lozenge here back to number 1 (the way it shows in this image)

Enter Browse Mode (Control + B)

See if that layout is the one you want.

If not, go back into layout mode and click the 'Book' arrow on the right to go to the next layout.

Enter Browse mode, and check if it is the one you want.

Etc, etc...