5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2012 7:36 AM by disabled_JackRodgers

Trying to help a company change 2 characters in a old layout.. need help by friday!

chrisgrooms

Title

Trying to help a company change 2 characters in a old layout.. need help by friday!

I am part of a IT company, and a client has a filmaker 7 database hosted on a Apple server.

The users login with a old login name, and we can see the layout for the letter we need, and the data opens into the layout, but we need to change the date from 2006 to 2012

when i go to "layout" mode on this users login, it is greyed out, so i assumed i needed to get onto the mac server hosting the database, after cracking into it, i got to the filemaker server administrator * the local program *

while the database will open, the webconsole will not, i played around with the serveradmin console ,  and changed passwords to the Admin page in Config, but i cannot login to this database with Admin / no password or Admin with the password i put in, gives a error...

can i edit this layout from the server? can i edit user names / passwords from the server console?  am i missing a easier way to edit this layout stored on the server? please help gotta do this by friday

• 1. Re: Trying to help a company change 2 characters in a old layout.. need help by friday!

The developer added his own account name and password and you need that information.

The date on the letter may be in a field on a record so all you need is to change the date in that field.

• 2. Re: Trying to help a company change 2 characters in a old layout.. need help by friday!
            chrisgrooms

field in a record? when i see the letter i go to layouts and it shows up as a form letter, the only fields that are inserted from the database are name/address etc, the date of the letter is part of the "layout" , and the "layout" mode is greyed out on the user i can access the database from using a workstation and connecting to the server

i can connect to the server, and get into the admin console.. shouldnt there be a way to see the login names for people in that database, or their permissions.. or edit the layout from the server that hosts the database?

• 3. Re: Trying to help a company change 2 characters in a old layout.. need help by friday!
              chrisgrooms

another question.. since i can get into the server that hosts this database.. would there be a way for me to create a new database w/ logins and passwords and import the data from this one without knowing the admin login for this particular database?

• 4. Re: Trying to help a company change 2 characters in a old layout.. need help by friday!
                philmodjunk

You have access to the password that controls access to the server admin application. This is not the password that controls access to the database file. You can go to the client's computer, launch FileMaker and create a new database. Whether or not you can then import data from the existing file depends on the permissions set with the password that you have for opening the file.

• 5. Re: Trying to help a company change 2 characters in a old layout.. need help by friday!

There is nothing you can do on the server or using the server's control panel to change the file. The changes can only be made on a client computer that accesses the server with a password that allows editing of the records.

One of the accounts and passwords may allow editing of layouts or the particular layout in question. The developer may not have given editing access to anyone but himself. Contactiing the developer would be a first step.

If the developer was an in house employee who is no longer with the company, someone in the company may have the full access account information. Contacting that person via phone or email may get the account info. 

If the file in question was created and sold to the company, you will need to contact the seller for that information.

Filemaker does offer a service to discover the passwords if you can prove you or the company owns the full rights to the software and the account info was lost.

It is odd that the date item in questin doesn't show today's date assuming it has in the past. Assuming that a qualified developer created the layout, the date field should be the date variable or a table date field.

This raises a question as to whether the date is set correctly on the computer using the layout so I would check the date setting on that computer and on the server in case the developer used the get host date. On Windows 7 it shows at the bottom of the  taskbar and I forget where it shows on a Mac but on both platforms you can open a calendar. Creating a new record with a field that shows the creation date will also reveal this.