4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 10:56 AM by philmodjunk

Two different contacts from same table

jilldguz

Title

Two different contacts from same table

Hi there. I'm a newbie to File Maker (10) so bare with me :)

I have two tables - CLIENTS and CONTACTS. 

On my clients form, among other information I am trying to be able to show information from two different records in my CONTACTS table(for instance, a doctor and a lawyer). 

Contact1:

Name

Phone

Email

Contact 2:

Name

Phone

Email

I tried to make a relationship between, but every time I choose contact1, it duplicates all of the information into the contact2 spaces also. In other words, I am able to reference the information from the CONTACTS table, but it is not letting me do it uniquely twice. Does that make sense? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Two different contacts from same table
          philmodjunk

To display data from two records in your table at the same time, you'll probably want to use either a table or list view layout to display your data. To find two apparently unrelated records, set up a find with separate "request" criteria for each record.

Enter find mode

Enter data to find the doctor (their name perhaps)

Select New Request from the Records menu

Enter data to find the lawyer

Click Perform find.

• 2. Re: Two different contacts from same table
            jilldguz

Thanks for getting back to me. I may have been unclear about what I'm trying to do.

I have one table "clients" and another list "contacts". On each client form I want to be able to display information for their contacts. I use the same 15 contact a lot so I want to be able to choose the name (or id) and have all of their information fill in automatically. I was able to do this part....

The problem arose when I tried to put 2 contact on the same client form. They always show up as a duplicat contact rather than letting me use two seperate contacts. I'm sure this has to be possible....

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Two different contacts from same table
              jilldguz

Just to clarify, I thought of another instance I need to use this same feature:

If i have a diagnosis table, and within that table other information such as symptoms.

On each client form, I might want to add multiple diagnosis and have the symptoms displayed.

Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Two different contacts from same table
                philmodjunk

You don't indicate what relationships you are attempting to use. The simplest method is to relate your data by a serial number field and use a portal to display multiple related records.

Your relationship might look like:

Clients::ClientID = Contacts::ContactID

On a layout that refers to Clients, create a portal that displays records from Contacts. For more about portals and table relationships, look up portals in the filemaker help system. For more about making posts to this forum, see: When requesting assistance on this forum...