9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2009 6:54 AM by Stereoinitials

Two Portals in One Layout

Stereoinitials

Title

Two Portals in One Layout

Hi, let's say in layout 1, I've a portal containing fields such as Supplier, Service Type, Description and Fees pertaining to a specific project.

How do I include another portal within this same layout displaying past projects with the same fields for referencing purposes.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Two Portals in One Layout
          philmodjunk

It depends on your relationships.

You can place as many portals on a layout as you need, simply changing the portal specifications (that includes specifying different related table occurrences) as needed to get the desired results.

In your case, if both past and present project data is in the same table, you may be able to show this all in one portal. You can specify a sort order on the portal or its relationship that orders the records from Most recent to least recent and then the current project will be the top row with past projects listed in order below. You can also split these into two portals with one portal displaying the first row (current project) and the other portal showing rows 2 through N (some number you specify) for past projects.

• 2. Re: Two Portals in One Layout
            Stereoinitials

Would like to illustrate further on my case:

PROJECT (table):  Client, Job Description, Main Category Costing  whereby Main Category Costing is a portal, listing of the various main cost items, description and costs.

Main Category Costing (table):  Sub Category Costing is a portal, listing the various sub cost items, description and costs.

Both tables are related via keyQUOTE_ID. 

So right now, I've this layout whereby it shows records of Main Category Costing table whereby I already have a Sub Category Costing portal created.  I would like to have another portal below listing past projects displaying sub cost items, description and costs such that for similar project types, I can paste selected info into the above Sub Category Costing portal.

Hope this explaination helps.  Thank you.  

• 3. Re: Two Portals in One Layout
              Stereoinitials
                 Anyone who can help?
              • 4. Re: Two Portals in One Layout
                philmodjunk

I'm not sure I can follow your description of your tables and fields.

Let's make sure w'ere on the same page:

Two tables: Project and Main Category Costing?

One relationship:  Project :: keyQUOTE_ID = Main Category Costing :: keyQUOTE_ID ?

You have a layout based on Main Category Costing with a portal showing related records from Project?

Confirm or modify that for me and maybe I or another poster can help you out.

• 5. Re: Two Portals in One Layout
                  Stereoinitials

Thanks PhilModJunk.

With regards to your questions:

Two tables: Project and Main Category Costing? Actually i've another table which is the Sub Category Costing so total 3.

One relationship:  Project :: keyQUOTE_ID = Main Category Costing :: keyQUOTE_ID ?  Yes and same for the sub category costing... meaning all three tables linked via same ID

You have a layout based on Main Category Costing with a portal showing related records from Project?  Yes i have a layout based on Main Category Costing with 2 portals,.. one showing sub category costing and another one (which i've difficulty creating).... also sub category of past/current projects in the database.  The second portal is the issue in question.

Hope the above helps. 

• 6. Re: Two Portals in One Layout
                    davidanders

For clarity

Projects Table      ProjectCosting Table      ALLProjectsTable (Same as projects)

Project Name

ProjectID 001<--->ProjectID 001

GlobalProjectID 'A'<---------------------->GlobalProjectID 'A'

A portal in Projects with the ProjectID relationship  will show ProjectCosting for that project.

A portal in Projects with the GlobalProjectID will show AllProjects (not ProjectCosting for all the projects)

I do not think this is what you want. Given the above, can you explain further? 

• 7. Re: Two Portals in One Layout
                      Stereoinitials
                         Sorry davidanders, I don't quite understand your reply.  Kinda confusing to me who is a new rather novice developer.
                      • 8. Re: Two Portals in One Layout
                        philmodjunk

Tables and their relationships:

Projects :: keyQUOTE_ID = Main Category Costing :: keyQUOTE_ID

and which?

Projects :: keyQUOTE_ID = Sub category Costing :: keyQuote_ID

or

Main Category Costing :: keyQUOTE_ID = Sub category costing :: keyQUOTE_ID ?

Either fits your description of "All linked together by keyQUOTE_ID".

Either way, What defines "Past Projects"? All projects in the database, all past projects of the same type or perhaps for the same customer?

• 9. Re: Two Portals in One Layout
                          Stereoinitials
                             Replied in the other thread.  Thanks PhilMOdJunk... do hope you can help me with this.