3 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2010 1:45 PM by Skimber

Two questions

Skimber

Title

Two questions

I use Filemaker for organizing research for books, and I have two questions:

1) I have set up a Keywords values list with "Radio Button" as the control style. My problem is that often I'll want to attach more than one set of keywords to a record. The program only seems to allow me to pick one. How do I go about expanding the choices?

2) The timeline for this database runs over several decades. While the Date field works fine for creating the overall timeline of events, I also need to be able to find all records for events that happening in all of the Septembers, for example, in order to generate material for a planned "This day in history" section. Any suggestions for wild card searches that might work here.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

• 1. Re: Two questions
          philmodjunk
          Skimber wrote:

1) I have set up a Keywords values list with "Radio Button" as the control style. My problem is that often I'll want to attach more than one set of keywords to a record. The program only seems to allow me to pick one. How do I go about expanding the choices?

You can make multiple selections from a radio button list by holding down the shift key while clicking them, but I suggest you switch to check boxes instead as this produces a user interface that's more in line with what your users will expect.

2) The timeline for this database runs over several decades. While the Date field works fine for creating the overall timeline of events, I also need to be able to find all records for events that happening in all of the Septembers, for example, in order to generate material for a planned "This day in history" section. Any suggestions for wild card searches that might work here.

I'd add a calculation field that uses either Month ( datefield ) or MonthName ( datefield ) to isolate just the month number or name. I can then search that field for a specific month without also specifying a particular year.

• 2. Re: Two questions
            comment_1

Skimber wrote:

Any suggestions for wild card searches

See the last point in section 2 here:

http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/find_sort.5.8.html#1028153

• 3. Re: Two questions
              Skimber

Thanks to you both. That was the information I needed.

S