5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2012 12:55 PM by rgnant_1

Two scripts at once......progress indicator

rgnant_1

Title

Two scripts at once......progress indicator

Tried every combination of search words I could think of on the following.

1)  I seem to remember from prowling the forum that there was a way to run two scripts at once.  Is this possible?

2)  Is there a way to show a "Progress bar" when a long script is running?  Alternatively, to have a layout stay on the screen and have fields populated as the script runs.

• 1. Re: Two scripts at once......progress indicator
          philmodjunk

1) no

2) yes. I once set up a very simple progress indicator on a script that had to run once every evening. There was a looping script involved that gradually worked with smaller and smaller found sets until it processed all the record it needed to process. It found all records not updated, then found all records in the same group as the first record, updated them and then found all records not updated.

So I put an unstored calculation field sized with very large bold text on the screen that reported the found set. I then included a refresh window step in my loop and users saw large number that then became progressively smaller until it reached zero and quit.

YOu can use the same method in scripts to show a variety of progress indicators. You can use set field to update fields and then refresh the window to display the update to the indicator whether it be a container field filled with a larger and larger colored rectangle, a string of text in a text field or....

• 2. Re: Two scripts at once......progress indicator
            rgnant_1

Sounds good, but I am working with a number of items that would need indicators.  For example:

1.  Select conference attendees

2.  Verify credentials

3.  Assign to break out sessions.

4.  Assign to luncheon and banquet tables, include at least one manager at each table

5.  etc.

So, you can see that the script will be jumping around between layouts as it does the various calculations.  I would like to see a layout with, say the above 5 items, and populate a field that is the equivalent of "Done" as the script does its business.

Would a way to do this be to open a new window for the script, returning to the main window to post the "Done" and then going back to the new window to continue the script?

• 3. Re: Two scripts at once......progress indicator
              davidanders

Google "script progress bar filemaker"
              https://www.google.com/search?q=script+progress+bar+filemaker

The first four are interesting, but may not solve your multiple layout setup.

• 4. Re: Two scripts at once......progress indicator
                philmodjunk

The trick is to selectively freeze and refresh your window. Freeze the window and change layouts as needed to get the job done, then return to your "progress" layout update some fields and refresh the window to display it. Freeze the window and continue...

• 5. Re: Two scripts at once......progress indicator
                  rgnant_1

I think I see where you are going.  Will give it a shot.