6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2013 12:38 PM by philmodjunk

two tables relationship

jlopezcabral

Title

two tables relationship

Im developing this solution for a lighting audit application And I have two tables, one that holds all the current lighting and another that has all the new lighting..

I want it so after  the user picks a current light it gives the option to choose a new light from a drop down list

How do I go about setting this up?

I have attached a picture to help visualize my point.. the frame on the left is where the user selects the current lights and the frame in the right is where you would pick the replacement lights.. 

lightingAudit.jpg

• 1. Re: two tables relationship
          SteveMartino

Hard to tell from the screenshot.  What, if anything happens if you click a picture? What happens after the user picks the light fixture?  Does it change a field from the old selection to the new selection?  If I'm on the right track, I would have 2 fields, old fixture (existing) & new fixture.  In the New Fixture field, I would make that a drop down list.  In the inspector I would select 'Values from' and make a new value list based on all the types of lighting available.

• 2. Re: two tables relationship
            philmodjunk

And I have two tables, one that holds all the current lighting and another that has all the new lighting..

That sounds like data that should all be in the same table with a field that distinguishes the "old" from the "new".

And I suspect that you will need several new tables--one could be set up as a "master list" of all lighting options, one record for each type to supply the data you need in order to click something to select that type of light.

• 3. Re: two tables relationship
              jlopezcabral

Hey STEVE MARTINO

Im attaching a video showing the application so you guys have a better understanding of what I have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmDW_A43NcI&feature=youtu.be

PhilModJunk  you are right, having the current and new lights on the same table I could make it work but its kinda messy to organize it as I would have to duplicate each current light times the replacements 

By the way this is my first time working with filemaker

• 4. Re: two tables relationship
                philmodjunk

you are right, having the current and new lights on the same table I could make it work but its kinda messy to organize it as I would have to duplicate each current light times the replacements

That's not really what I am suggesting, but you really need to take a step back and look at the basic tables and relationships that you need before you dive too deeply into the design of your layouts.

• 5. Re: two tables relationship
                  jlopezcabral

Any tips on where should I start and what should I do

• 6. Re: two tables relationship
                    philmodjunk

A tutorial or book on FileMaker or relational database design might be helpful.

You are also welcome to discuss the design of your database here in the forum. If you choose to do so, start with a "big picture" description of what you want your database to do and then work down to the actual data you need to collect and organize in your database. As you work out what you need to record, you often find that this data naturally falls into specific "lists" of data where each list has a specific "role" in your database. That in turn can get you started on what tables you need and how that they should be related to each other. Ideally, you don't want to set up tables that make you record the same exact information more than once or to have to store that exact info in more than one table.